New Tenant

I put this Kestrel box up winter before last. Last year, the only things showing an interest were Starlings, so I boarded it up. This spring a flicker looked interested, so I uncovered the entrance. Shortly thereafter a pair of Kestrels started paying attention to it. They’ve been in and out of it for the last month or so and this image of the female was taken about a week ago. I’ve tried to be very circumspect, so this was taken at quite a distance from my blind which happens to have a view through the entrance door. As the season progresses, I’ll move closer. We’ve seen the pair mating the last couple of days. so hopefully they’ll start feeding chicks in a month or so.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Anything

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Anything. This is pretty much just a record shot. Hopefully as the season progresses I’ll have opportunities for more artistic images.

Any pertinent technical details:

7DII, Sigma 150-600 C @ 435 mm, f/8, 1/2500, iso 640, aperture priority, -!/3 EV. Processed in LR & PS cc. Cropped to 6.3 MP. Taken May 6th at 8:31 am.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

How exciting is that. I’m looking forward to seeing more on this. A few years ago, I built and put up several red bellied woodpecker boxes. . . all my red bellied woodpeckers ended up looking a lot like sparrows. . . :slight_smile: