Red-bellied Woodpecker nest site

A pair of woodpeckers have built a nest hole right by my backyard deck. It’s mostly obscured by foreground branches but this one angle allows for an unobstructed view of the nest hole.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon 90D, Sigma 150-600 C
ISO 400, f10, 1/640s, hand held

@allensparks.wildlife
1 Like

Oh very cool. Red bellies are a hoot - they’re so vocal. I love that you can see this clearly at least from one place. We have a big old pileated hole in the side yard, but by the time the ducks figure out who’s going to use it, it’s obscured by leaves from other trees. Great catch with this one having a look out.

Very cool, Allen. I can see just the hint of the out of focus branches around the edge of the frame. Are you planning on doing a touch of pruning so you can get feeding shots? It should be a great opportunity. By the way, I like this image. Very typical of the woodpecker clan.

What a nice look at this Woodpecker. Such great details, and I just love how you captured him looking out his nest. While my husband was at the dentist Tuesday, I took my camera to a nearby house that had several bird feeders around a dogwood tree, and I had a Woodpecker of some sort pose for me, but I haven’t had a chance to process yet in LR. I can tell you it won’t be this good. It was overcast, so have a gray sky in the background, for one thing. A nice shot here, Allen

Nice nesting shot with good detail

Allen, this is a fine look at this Red-bellied peering out of it’s nest. The blue sky is a good addition.

Excellent image, bot the pose and the quality. How wonderful to have this so accessible! If there is any way to prune some of the closer branches you should get some fantastic feeding shots!

Very nice, should be a good story as the fledgling develops.

Good job with this in the nest image. Excellent detail and color. Always a fun type of shot. I’m not a fan of blue sky but in this case with the out of focus branches, the image comes together.

What great luck! Love the head sticking out. and your comp. If mine, I’d probably clone out those branches in the background. I’d also consider standing on a step stool or something to decrease the angle. Looking forward to more!

@Lyle_Gruby , @Allen_Sparks I’ve had good luck using a beanbag or ground pod on a ladder-it actually makes a pretty good tall tripod. I have discovered that I tend to lean on the rungs in places and they get hard in a hurry, but a bit of foam pipe insulation fixes that pretty easily and cheaply.

@Kris_Smith @Stephen_Stanton @Mark_Seaver @Allen_Brooks @David_Schoen @Shirley_Freeman @Dennis_Plank @Lyle_Gruby @Diane_Miller
Thank you for the comments everyone. Unfortunately I believe the nest has been taken over by starlings. There was a starling going in the nest a couple of times this morning while a woodpecker did nothing to prevent it. Hope I’m wrong.

1 Like

Well, poop. That’s a bummer and I hope it’s not true. Starlings are such an environmental disaster here in NA.