Red-bellied Woodpecker

I usually put a handful of raw peanuts on this stump, and this guy is a regular customer. However, I was fresh out at this visit and hadn’t replenished, and I got scolded for my negligence.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon 60D, Canon 70-300mm IS USM zoom, f/5.6, 1/750 sec., ISO 1000, Hand Held. Processed in ACR and PSE 2020 for exposure, sharpness, and cropping. Topaz De-noise applied.

2 Likes

Pleasing look at this Red Bellied Woodpecker. Head turn and pose our good. Detail is good. I think I’d add a little more canvas on the right side of the image and maybe even consider a landscape crop.

I agree it’s a little tight. I cropped it 5x7, and that’s what I got. I might try another crop. Thanks

I really like the head turn in this image, Terry, and the detail is excellent. I agree that it’s a bit tight on the right. I finally gave up on set crop proportions unless I need to print on a specific size paper or fit someone else’s standard. I just pull in the sides and move it around until it looks nice.

Thanks, Dennis. The 5x7 seemed to fit, eliminating some of the brushy BG, so I called it good. Here’s a different crop.

1 Like

I like this one a lot better because it has more balance.

1 Like

I agree with David on the balance. The background greens are sufficiently uniform that they aren’t distracting.

1 Like

I prefer this one, more breathing room. An alternative is to crop from the left to about halfway through the stump. I’m with @Dennis_Plank – I crop freeform to what gives the best balance for the subject.

I’d try toning down the greens/yellows in the BG – they’re pretty but overpower the subject. There are subtly yellows in the bird so you will probably need to mask it.

1 Like