Juvenile Red-bellied Woodpecker

This young bird of unknown sex has been following it’s dad around for the last couple weeks, learning the ropes. This is the first time I saw it attempting to forage on it’s own.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any. Looks like I got a reasonably sharp image, but the beak is a bit soft? I shot this in rather low light and high ISO (for this camera and lens. It was a bit noisy, but appears Topaz did a pretty good job.

Technical Details

Canon 60D, Canon 70-300mm IS USM @ 240mm, f/5.6, 1/1000, ISO 2000. Processed in ACR and PSE 2020 for exposure and cropping. Topaz De-noise applied.

Nice pose and perch, Terry. To me it looks as if you have some significant artifacts from processing, probably from the Topaz step. It would be interesting to see what you started with (converted to jpeg) to see how sharp/noisy it was initially.

Thanks, @Dennis_Plank . Here’s the original unaltered file, with the exception of converting it to jpeg.

Good job on the processing. The noise levels are more than acceptable in the final version. I like the crop. Good depth of field with respect to the perch, leaves, and background. I might have left another half inch below the bottom of the tail. I’m really impressed with the amount of wildlife you have around your place.

1 Like

Hi Tarry
I like the framing, it has a nice flow from left to right and the branch bring your eye right up to the Woodpecker. I didn’t have any problem with noise in this photo. Nice work.
Peter

Thanks, @David_Schoen . That’s all the room I had at the bottom. There is a feeder just below the bird and I was trying to keep it out of the shot. I could add some canvas, I guess.

Thanks for stopping by and commenting, @peter .

Nice pose and overall look at the woodpecker and i like the environmental feel of the shot.

1 Like