Red-bellied Woodpecker

A year-round resident in Oklahoma, I usually have a half-dozen, or so of these birds in my yard.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
I cropped the photo in this manner due to a bit of an issue at the bottom of the frame. Canon 60D, Canon 70-300 IS USM zoom, f/6.7, 1/350 sec., ISO 800, Hand Held. Processed in ACR and PSE 2020 for exposure, sharpness, and NR. Shot in very overcast conditions.

1 Like

It looks like a nice look at the bird, but posting at a bigger size would give a better look. You got an interesting habitat but the negative space on both sides, and the centered bird, are interesting and different, but for me they are not a great way to present the subject. The light blue at the bottom (a feeder?) could be cloned out. Here’s an alternative crop:

I like your crop, Diane. I was hesitant to crop it too much because I have a history of cropping too much. That light space at the bottom is actually white rock that my neighbor spread at the base of a tree - after I placed my feeders! I’ll have to fix that going forward. I tried burning it down first, then cloning it, and never could get it to look right.

That is a good looking wood pecker. A brilliant red top to it. Diane’s crop looks good. I don’t think you could have but a slight move to your right might have yielded a nice clean bg. Pretty nice to have any in your back yard.

Nice to get one of these where you can actually see the red belly it’s named for, Terry. I like Diane’s crop. Neighbor’s changes (and our own) can play havoc with backgrounds. We had some fir trees trimmed up a couple of years ago and all of a sudden I had a white house in my background-arrrrrgggghhh!

@David_Leroy He caught my attention, too, David with that brilliant red head. Need to continue to work on my cropping, I guess. I had room to move a bit to the right, but not the time. He was pretty spooky, though I thought I was well concealed. Thanks!

@Dennis_Plank Yeah, I wanted to save this shot badly, Dennis. One sees a ton of shots of these woodpeckers backs, but few of their front. If he had been a bit higher on the perch, I could easily have cropped out those white rocks. I’m probably going to end up relocating the feeder. Thanks for your feedback.

If you can find a plain lawn background, it’s really great Terry. If you can’t, then just improvise.

1 Like

That won’t be a major problem come summer, Dennis. All that light brown you saw in the background in my crop is dormant Bermuda grass that will be green this summer. If I move it a bit right or a bit left, I should be okay.

I like the rather ghostly trees in the BG and the red head is set off nicely against the dark trunk.

1 Like

Thanks, Diane. I liked everything about the shot except those darn white rocks! Do you reckon the neighbor would notice if I slipped over there and spray painted them brown??? :innocent: