Purple Martin in Kestrel Box

Description:

We had a pair of Kestrels that nested unsuccessfully in this box three years in a row. This year, they tried another box, leaving this one available (after evicting a couple of pairs of Starlings). Our Martin Gourds were full up and a pair decided to try this box. It’s looking like they will be successful.

Specific Feedback Requested:

Anything.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Is this a composite? (focus stacks or exposure blends are not considered composites)
No.

Sony A1, FE 200-600 = 1.4 TC @ 840 mm, tripod with gimbal head, f/9, 1/2500, iso 1600, manual exposure. Processed in LR only. Cropped to 2476x3274 from a 5760x8640 vertical original. Taken this morning at 8:05.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
2 Likes

That’s terrific, Dennis. I’ve never seen them nest anywhere except a Martin House, but I guess any cavity will do! Good catch of this interesting and surprising behavior.

Tough light in the bird box but you got a great shot.

Beautiful bird! I love how he’s looking out at you from his home! Like looking through a window! Great capture!