New Years Snow

This is the last of my snow pictures, I think. This is New Years Day in Tucson. Morning anyway. It melted later in the day.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

I was a little uncertain about the centered comp, but moving the peak to the side didn’t offer any improvement.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Again, I tried not to push the saturation here too much, though I did warm up the warm colors just a bit. The snow and unlit clouds seemed to feel OK a little more flat an unsaturated. Too much blue didn’t work.

Any pertinent technical details:

Nikon D7600, 18-300 lens @ 140mm (210 mm 35-mm equiv), ISO 100, f/16, 1/100 sec

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
4 Likes

Regarding color and tonality, I have zero nits, Tony. This is a fantastic image, tastefully executed as I’d expect from you.

If I was given the option to hone the composition, I guess I’d like to see what’s just out of frame to the right, and maybe try incorporating those right-side layers a bit more while excluding the leftmost “hump” of the main ridge. But this wouldn’t necessarily improve anything, as it may then feel too empty in the upper-right, and too bisected with those craggy spires right in the middle. As it is I think it works wonderfully, and I wouldn’t have even thought about this if you hadn’t mentioned the centered comp.

This is better than the first, better clarity and better clouds.
I think a wider view would also be nice,

This looks just fine to me as is, Tony. The lighting is sublime; a perfect combination of light and shadow. I am thoroughly enjoying the bands of clouds as they set the mood for me along the the dusting of snow. Beautiful image.

Beautiful shot, I think the saturation levels are perfect.

This is wonderful Tony. I think that he centered comp works quite effectively here and I like the natural looking saturation. I also really love the clouds! I can’t really think of anything that I would change or try to improve.

Captured and processed to perfection for my eyes.
Cheers!

This looks really nice to me Tony. A real treat to view.

The various layers and the gorgeous light are all working together in this fine composition.

This is excellent, Tony. IMO , stronger than the previous. The repeating lines of low clouds and dappled light add a lot of depth. Processing looks spot-on to me, Saturation and overall color balance look good.

Tony, compared to the other I prefer this one, I think because the cloud layering seems to work better.

Tony,

Love this! Processing is spotless and looks awesome as presented.

The only slight question I have is the presence of the bit of exposed rock/ridge in the LRC. Borderline on whether I want to see more of it, or none of it. But the light is beautiful and there’s enough to still add to the scene.

Lon

A gorgeous capture, for sure. Love the cloud banks and the composition looks fine to me as is. My only nit/observation is that the sky appears a bit dark; I might consider lightening up a wee bit.