Next generation

Description:

Specific Feedback Requested:

In the countryside near the village where I live, a pole was erected to attract storks. And with success: without a few months a couple decided that this was the right place for reproduction. Only one of originally two youngsters survived, and the breeding is a bit late: in August the young bird must be ready to return to Africa. Although more and more animals seem to stay more or less here.
Storks were very common in the past, but disappeared almost completely in the Netherlands because of the use of pesticides in agriculture and the lack of food, but in the last decade they have become a common sight again, although not in my region.
The angle of view is not very favorable, because the pole is high. I stayed away pretty far to have a view that is a little better, but of course it is still impossible to look in the nest, unfortunately.

Any comment welcome.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Is this a composite? (focus stacks or exposure blends are not considered composites)
No composite.

Pentax K3 MkIII, Sigma 4/100-300mm @300mm, f6.3, 1/1250, ISO400. Handheld, cropped to about 15% of the original size (next time I’ll bring a TC).

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
2 Likes

A nice story, Han. I’m glad to hear they’re making a comeback. We have the same shooting problem with the platforms for Ospreys in our area-I keep wanting to rent a lift. Your detail is still excellent even after the substantial crop. I also like the feeding posture. I also like the design of the platform-someone did a fine job on it.

Wonderful image and story – hope the youngster makes it! Good catch with the feeding, and a very nice BG. I might consider cloning over the sky in the LR.

Interesting prefabricated nest – I guess they had put some sticks in it. Our platforms for Osprey are just timbers and they build the nests with a very messy bunch of sticks. At least one is always sticking up in the way of a good view.

Thank you, @Dennis_Plank and @Diane_Miller for your comments. I cloned over a piece of sky just left of the birds, Diane, but you are right about the LR. It can use some more.
About the nest: this is a nice platform indeed. Usually, the storks add material to taste, sometimes the height is doubled with sticks, branches and soft material. This couple was apparently satisfied with the prefab construction. The design of the platforms is usually similar to this one, but not always so neatly finished.

Superb capture Han. Great story to go along with it. Pesticides have been wreaking havoc for decades and it’s great to hear about a comeback of sorts. Let’s hope this youngster survives. I’m with @Diane_Miller about cloning some of the blue out of the LRC.