Next Generation +Alt & Fire!

Orig:

Full - frame, less saturated:

Diane’s “Fire” suggestion:

Image Description

Yet another image from my trip to Yosemite last November. Actually this was captured outside the park while driving in. Wasn’t raining yet, but was high overcast.

This is very similar to one the images I included in the triptych some weeks back. I finally decided it warranted posting a stand alone. Simple verticle ICM, cropped to square. Should be fairly obvious that tree trunks are the subject and this scene included old growth scarred from an older wildfire and all the new growth - with the added autumn colors.

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.

• Conceptual: Feedback on the message and story conveyed by the image.

• Technical: Feedback on the technical aspects of the image, such as exposure, color, focus and reproduction of colors and details, post-processing, and print quality.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

I can show the original if anyone is interested which shows the clear story of the “next generation” of forest that is emerging. The ICM is really more about the colors, lines, etc.; although I think some sense of reality is hidden in here…

Specifically just looking for any recommendations on colors, processing, etc. But also if you have any type of impression or reaction that doesn’t invoke a forest, please be sure and let me know!
I may have caught some of the gray sky at the end of the motion which allowed me to accentuate the blue/cyan up top. And I did try and bring out the warm cool contrast by working on those blues.

Commments and suggestions always welcome! Thank you!

Technical Details

Nikon D800E, 28-300 @70mm f/16 1/4s, single vertical motion ICM.

2 Likes

I think this is dreamy gorgeous!! I love the gentle intertwining of the shapes and colors! It definitely evokes a forest, for me, and the green shows new growth – and hope and expectation. I can’t say I overtly get any elements of dead trees or fire, but it makes sense that’s where the black trunks came from. But the image as a whole isn’t gloomy so I only see them as darker elements, maybe just shaded. I love the cyans at the top and the blush of reddish brown. I think the trunks end very nicely at the base of the frame, allowing them to emerge from the greens.

Keep these coming! They are a delight!!

Hi Lon,
that’s a really beautiful abstract image. I love the painterly look. I like the colors very much, I wouldn’t change anything about the image.

I agree with @Diane_Miller that it looks like a forest scene.

My suggestion is to print it out and hang it on the wall.

Honestly, Lon, I don’t have much time for ICM but if you keep coming up with these gems you’ll make a convert out of me yet. This really is a beauty. As Diane said, “dreamy”. The colour palette is truly lovely - I love the way the greens move up into the aqua from bottom to top. And then there is the helix-like curves of the trunks. Square crop is perfect for this.

Lon, trees are my favorite ICMs. This one is another winner. I didn’t see the forest as having been damaged by fire, but I could see that the black tree trunks could represent that. Outstanding.

Lon, another fantastic ICM image with wonderful framing, implied motion, and colors. Well done!

Hey Lon! Really well done! There are all kinds of ways to use ICM in nature photography and everyone likes different things. I tend to gravitate towards ICM that you can tell vaguely what it is but it still has a painterly feel to it. I think you’ve definitely captured that here. Settings and composition seem to be spot on!

Hi Lon,

This is definitely one of your best. You have mastered the motion to get that dreamy look. Thanks also for the back story, It’s good to know about the fire damage and Yosemite coming back to life.

So, take this for what it’s worth, coming from someone who’s color-challenged. To me, the lower half looks somewhat over saturated compared to the upper half. I know all the other comments like the colors so maybe I’m just weird (well, I am…)

Nicely done, sir.

Thank you all so much for your comments and kind words, @Diane_Miller , @Jens_Ober , @Kerry_Gordon , @Donna_Callais , @Alfredo_Mora . @David_Johnston and @David_Bostock

Thanks Jens. I think I must make a public confession. I’ve had the dSLR for just 8 years now… and I have NEVER printed any my digital images! My house is full of old large prints from 4x5’s and no room! Plus my old 13x19 Hp printer is obsolete and so there ya go, no prints. I think I will move to change that when I retire!

I hear ya Kerry - not everyone’s cup of tea and I certainly understand why. And don’t worry though, I’m not give you a sales pitch or anything… :slight_smile: But I do greatly appreciate you taking the time to comment. I think they’re just fun.

Me too Donna - but to be honest… they’re also the easiest! And for sure a great place to start if you’re just trying it out.

I agree as well, although I’m also just as happy when something comes back that is totally abstract and not even close to what was originally photographed.

David - you have a keen eye for someone who claims they have trouble with colors! :wink: Actually I struggled and worked in different layers, between ACR and PS specifically working on the saturation and hue of the yellows and greens at the bottom. So thank you for mentioning because I kept on working on that. And so I think this is a case where one just needs to step away and come back and visit this another time. Thanks for comments!

Thanks folks!

I didn’t notice the saturation of the yellows until @David_Bostock mentioned it, but I don’t think they are overdone. But I just had a weird idea – wonder if the colors could be bent far enough to make them the color of fire… (But take that in the context that we probably had a bit too much wine with dinner and I am going to bed now.)

The fact that there is no more space on the walls also has its advantages. You do not have to choose a picture. Having to choose just one image from your portfolio would be a tough decision.

1 Like

I had actually originally worked on the full frame file before cropping to square. I went back and see this version which is much more pale, less saturated. The full frame posted above in the original also shows the autumn grasses and a faint outline of a little sapling pine. A bit closer to a hint of reality.

What an idea! I never thought of this or took any of the slides far enough to discover this. Cool idea! NOt sure if this works more than just a more intense autumn color. I imagine one still might need a title or context to get the impression of fire… don’t know. But a fun experiment!

Thanks again everyone!