After The Fire #2 w/Revision

Revised Image:

Original Image:

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Another ICM image from the Jefferson Park trip with @James_Lorentson and @John_Williams. For this shot I picked a denser stand of burned trees, and used the blackest trees. I did a little more complex movement to get the orange grass to look more abstract.

Specific Feedback

I like this image but it is more abstract and darker then the others. Does it work for you? Do the orange grasses distract too much?

Technical Details

D850, f14, 24-70 @ 55mm, 1/15th sec, ISO 64, handheld

Another very good ICM with a very interesting palette and textures. I wasn’t sure at first, but I find myself liking the lighter diagonal swathes across the image. The look like light coming through a window.

Oooh, that is nice, Steve! I love those diagonal white swatches - I think they elevate this above simply a vertical swipe up with all the lines going up and down. And the orange grasses don’t distract at all. In fact, I would increase their saturation.

Because I think the diagonal swatches really make this, the topmost 1/3 or so doesn’t feel necessary. Hope you don’t mind, but I couldn’t resist tweaking this - crop to a square (maybe too much, but what the heck), dodge the lights to bring out the diagonals, increase vibrance to add more color, a slight S curve on the midtones. Maybe this is too jazzy for the mood you’re going for, but it was fun to fiddle with it!

1 Like

@Bonnie_Lampley I would never mind you playing with my Images. I like what you’ve done with this. I’ll try to replicate it. Thanks for your suggestions!

@Dennis_Plank , thanks for your comments! I had fun with this one.

@Bonnie_Lampley , I added a revised image at the top based on your suggestions. I think this looks a lot better. Thanks again for your suggestions!

1 Like

Oh that’s nice Steve! I agree, those diagonals really add, and I think the orange does too.

Excellent image Steve! Great job on the edited version. The original felt too tall. I like Bonnie’s recommendations. Those bright sections interleaved with the dark vertical lines of the trees really make the image. Lots of interesting patterns and shapes in the your image. Well done!

I just looked at the repost, Steve. I like both versions, though they evoke different moods.

Steve,

Excellent ICM! I’m really liking both versions - and as someone else mentioned, the versions have different impacts and impressions.

The taller original, I think, retains an abstract sense of the scarred forest… burnt and bare trunks with a sprinkling of autumn growth; also indicated re-birth.

The cropped version, and I love the square crop with ICM’s (don’t know why yet.) This is more graphic and where the dispbersements of color really add to the image. This also feels much more abstract to me where this feels less like tree trunks and where the imagination contributes a bit more than the original.

BOTH are quite excellent.

@John_Williams , @Alfredo_Mora , @Dennis_Plank and @Lon_Overacker thank you for your kind comments. I had a lot of fun working on this image, especially after seeing @Bonnie_Lampley’s suggestions.

1 Like