Fire after the burn /w revisions

Revised Fire after the burn #1:

Original Fire after the burn #1:

Revised Fire after the burn #2:

Original Fire after the burn #2:

Revised Fire after the burn #3:

Original Fire after the burn #3:

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

These are from a late Fall backpacking trip to Jefferson Park in the central Oregon Cascades mountains with @John_Williams and @James_Lorentson.

These images were made by a different type of movement while shooting down at blueberry bushes in their fall splendor. #1 used a right to left “squiggly” movement. #2 was from rotating the camera. #3 was from zooming in.

2 major fires burned this area in the last 6 years. The dark areas are caused by the black soil left by the fires.

Specific Feedback

It was a fun exercise playing with these image. I cloned out some of the biggest areas of black soil. Should I do more? Did I do too much? Are the brightest “flames” too bright?

Any other suggestions?

Technical Details

All images were ISO 64, 24-70 at 65mm, f22, 1/4 sec. handheld

I love#1, Steve. It really has the look of flames and and fills in nicely.there is one little bit of something that looks green in the upper right corner that you might want to eliminate.

To me the type of motion in #2comes across as too obvious, though it does have some good “flames”.

I really like #3 as well, but I found myself wanting to take a bit off the top due to the darker area in the upper left. There are probably an infinite number of ways of addressing that, but it just didn’t fit the rest of the image for me.

Very nice abstracts.

No. 1 for me. It is a great fit for the title. It does look like fire. I’m not fond of the brighter areas in the other two. I really like No. 1.

Hi Steve, these are really cool! I also prefer the first one as the motion fits the title and story. Speaking of which, this is a great way to tell the story of the place and what occurred with the fires. Great way to express yourself.

@Dennis_Plank , @Jim_Gavin and @Alfredo_Mora , thank you for your comments! I was originally only going to post the first one, but I decided to through the other 2 in because they were fun to create, are the same subject matter, and highlight different movements. I also posted these images before any others as they do tell the story of the place and scene better. I have some other ICMs of the burnt trees I may post.

In spite of the fires, the place is still quite beautiful.

It’s interesting to contrast these Steve. They are all enjoyable, but I also choose the first if forced. It’s close though, I really like number three as well. For some reason these images made me think of candy corn laced with acid…

Thanks @John_Williams !

Interesting analogy! Since I was a teenager in the 60s, what you think of with the term “acid” is probably a bit different from my initial thought. :partying_face:

No. 1 gets my vote for most flame-like, but for aesthetics, I like No. 3. I don’t think the brightest lights are too bright. I was very saddened to see this part of Oregon burn. Those forests were so beautiful.

(The colors are very 60’s-ish. And I had the same reaction as you to John’s comment about candy corn laced with acid! :grimacing: :sweat_smile:)

Thanks @Bonnie_Lampley ! It is incredibly sad how much of the Pacific Coast states have burned in the last few years. And more burn each year. :sob:

Steve,

I too am really enjoying the 1st original. Great colors (all of them) and the ICM here has produced a very painterly and impressionist result. I’m with Dennis on the darker green URC, but fairly minor.

I actually quite like #2 with the rotation motion. What works is the off-angle viewpoint - most camera rotations are more straight on… but like the angle which almost gives this a 3-D look.

The 3rd works nicelly too and it’s nice that the zoom motion is less obvious here than the circular motion of #2. If that makes sense.

I’m sure this is just me, but I’ve really been enjoying the square crop on many of my own ICM’s - I’m not sure why… But I see square crops in each of these. The first, a square crop starting in the original LRC, expanding the square to the point where it stops once getting to the green in URC.
2nd one, a square crop around the “core” of the circles - basically taking off from the right side and making the overall more symmetric.
The last one, I’m not sure there’s a better crop in here, although perhaps to emiminate the dark patch upper left.
Of course all of these just thoughts on alternates crops.

Lon

@Lon_Overacker, thanks for the comments and suggestions! I think you are right about the square crops. I’ll give that a try. On #2, I has hoping for more of a tunnel impression than it shows, but I’m glad you picked up on a near 3-D look.

@Lon_Overacker , @John_Williams , @Dennis_Plank , and @Alfredo_Mora I added new versions based on your suggestions. Lon, the crops aren’t exactly square but close.

Interesting! I wouldn’t have predicted it, but I do think I prefer the crops (especially the square one).