Burnt w/Repost

Repost with suggested changes:

Original Post:

I’ve been working on this one for a while now. When I first took the shot and looked at the back of the camera, I knew it was one of my keepers. The 2017 Eagle Creek fire in the Columbia River Gorge burned over 50,000 acres and nearly destroyed a natural wonder. This is a small grove of burned trees in the most traveled area of the park, near the Sheppards Dell waterfall. Taken in the summer, the foliage around the burned trees is also brown as if burnt. Fortunately the areas is coming back, but slowly.

I saw this scene after shooting a fallen burnt tree up close.

Specific Feedback Requested

Does it work for you? I wanted to convey the idea of partially burnt trees against the summer brown foliage.

Technical Details

110 mm, 0.6 sec @ f/18, ISO 100.

Love it!! There is a wonderful mix here of verticals and some lovely subtle curves, with the whites providing grace notes!! I wouldn’t have known the trees were burnt. What a tragedy that fire was, and with such a stupid cause.

1 Like

My first thought was burnt trees, and I really like it. I agree with Diane on the subtle curves . They add a really nice dimension. I’m not picking up on the brown foliage. To me, the palette is green black and white, which is lovely. Most of the brown is near the sides, right side especially. Nonetheless, the impression I get is burnt trees in a recovering forest.
ML

1 Like

David, I really like the U shaped pattern of the trees, the darkness of them, and the motion. The right side is a bit darker than the left so I would recommend darkening the bottom left side. This way my eye stays up in the center and upper portion of the image.

1 Like

David,

Love the setup here, the arrangement of the tree trunks and how they, yes, depict a burnt forest. Well, at least I can imagine that without your description or title anyway!

I like how the darker trunks in the outer areas kind of engulf the main trunk and it’s darkness. Speaking of which, I realize the darker, exposed area in the middle combined with the motion, that there is no detail there. I’m kinda wishing there was something, almost hinting at the remains of a charred tree/bark. (But I’m getting wishful…)

Only suggestion I have would be to tone down the brightness of the lighter, yellow/tannish streak right of center. And perhaps drop the saturation of any magenta or maybe even the reds. But the last part here is personal choice and there’s nothing out of place with the colors.

Great ICM David!