Burnt

There are lots of opportunities to photograph burnt trees around here. I poke around a lot with my camera, looking to make interesting compositions, but have never really done anything with the photos I’ve made. This week’s challenge led me to go back to some photos from last spring, before much ground cover vegetation had re-established itself.

What technical feedback would you like if any? What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any critique welcome - processing, composition, etc. I went for the drama here, darkening the frame overall, and bringing out selective highlights on the main sticks and burnt pieces. Cloned out bits of leaves around the edges. Do you think it’s too blue?

I did make a version with a light border, but it seemed soooo bright next to the dark photo, I felt it didn’t work.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Single frame, d5600, 55mm, 1/80s, f/16, ISO 1000.

1 Like

I like the composition, Bonny. And it certainly has the right mood.
I don’t think it is too blue, but I might have made it a bit lighter. Something like the inserted image. But this is a matter of taste.

1 Like

Beautiful, Bonnie. I really like the cool/warm contrast in the image. You are able to find a very nice arrangement of the leaves. They almost look like gold coins. I don’t think it’s too dark but after seeing @Han_Schutten’s edit, I think it could go somewhere in-between. My only suggestion is to clone out the brightest bits near the top of the frame especially the one in the center. A very cool image!

1 Like

Bonnie: Good vision to see and compose this. It works very well for me in the original or with Han’s adjustments. Very nicely done. >=))>

1 Like

Thanks, @Han_Schutten, @Adhika_Lie, & @Bill_Fach! Han, I agree on the darkness - I do like your lightening it a bit.

Well seen, Bonnie. I am so sorry that it is so easy for you to find such scenes though. You all have had your share of fires out there. This is making the best of it though. I really like the contrast of the dark and light, the fallen leaves against the charred wood, and the lines and shapes.

1 Like

A lovely composition, Bonnie. I love the textures of the burnt wood and the singed leaves are a perfect touch and very well arranged.

1 Like

Nicely composed and a fine “burned” scene. I like the lighter version presented by Hans and might even go a touch lighter, but that is a personal taste.

1 Like

Bonnie, with a strong bit of irony, I must say that this is a nicely artistic image of a disaster. The scattered leaves and the curvy branches make a fine comp. I think the overall darkness fits the scene very well. Definitely not too blue for me.

1 Like

Nice composition and a great idea as well. I prefer the original to the rework.

1 Like