Smoke From a Distant Fire

…over last years burnt remains. It actually hasn’t been that smoky this year in the far north end of the Sacramento Valley, but this particular evening the wind blew smoke directly north in front of the setting sun.

What technical feedback would you like if any? What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any comments welcome.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Single frame, Sony a73r, 105mm, f/16, 1/125s, ISO 800

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Bonnie, this looks great. The mix of burnt trees and the color in the sky tell the fire story very well. This is quite striking with the burnt trees in the foreground adding interest. Well seen.

I love the warm tones amid the stark trees. I would prefer to see the tree tops and a little cushion above that, but only you know what lurks up there. This is a very enjoyable scene.

Thanks, @Mark_Seaver. I see this scene every day (well, most days are without the smoke) on our evening bike rides. I have ever so many photos of burnt trees.

@Harley_Goldman, thanks. I did not get the tops of the trees. Most of what you see are silver pines, and the large cones remaining on the branches make an interesting texture. Haven’t captured that to my satisfaction yet.