Smokey Sunrise

About 7:30 am today from my back deck. We are just at the northern tip of the smoke plume from the California and PNW fires. General air mass circulation is counter clockwise and the worst is yet to come. My windows are closed. Hope those in the path are safe!

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Could it be darker and more ominous?

Pertinent technical details or techniques: iso 100, 100-400 plus 1.4X at 400, f8, 800th, A7R4, 90% full frame, HH

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

I really like the composition. Using those tall trees to frame the image works well. Everything looks good to me. Only negative comment is that the conditions giving rise to the color are very sad.

It was so Smokey here today that the sun was nowhere’s to be seen ! Very thick and difficult to breathe at times…

Yes, this is a nice composition. It would have been more cliche if the ball of the sun was above the trees, the image would have been mostly about the sun. But by waiting and placing the sun behind the trees, the image is not so dominated by the sun, and it becomes more about the color in the sky and the tree silhouettes. I really like how you handled this. It is very sad to see so much destruction, so please stay safe…