Smoky Sunrise

After several days of bushfires nearby woke to a very smoky morning.
Looking to get the best composition from my location using juxtaposition.

Specific Feedback Requested

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
D7100 70-210mm (f4-5.6) @f11 210mm 1/40sec
Have cropped on the left and bottom and applied grad filter to reduce exposure to the bottom half of the image

1 Like

Hi Marion,

Great atmospheric conditions despite the unfortunate circumstances of there being fire. I really like the sun and the glowing light above the ridge. Compositionally I find the framing a little left heavy for me.

Below is another interpretation of the scene with a different crop and a the green hue if the haze cooled in colour temperature.

1 Like

Thanks Nathan I like your version. I have so much to learn

The smoke has created some wonderful atmospheric conditions, and it has given your image a very painterly look. I also love the warm/cool color contrast. With nice haze like this (and warm colors in the sky), I could see a slight increase in overall luminosity. Admittedly, this is a subjective matter of personal taste.

Composition is the thing that makes me pause a bit. Normally image content dictates the horizontal/vertical choice, and the aspect ratio. With the strong horizontal line of the horizon, and your desire to show the juxtaposition of the sun and the spruce tree, a horizontal pano could be a good choice. But this pano feels a bit unbalanced to me. There is more room to the right of the spruce than there is to the left of the sun. I think the image would work better if that spacing was more symmetrical. The sun also feels too tight to the left edge, so I might add space on the left. This would make the sun and the spruce more co-equals, as presented the spruce feels more dominant. The trees along the bottom edge feel a bit truncated as well, unless there are major distractions there, maybe a bit more room at the bottom might help too.

You said that you cropped the left and the bottom, I would be curious to see what that looks like before the crops.

Thanks, Ed have made some cropping changes as you suggested I am not up to speed on the luminosity side of post-processing yet. Appreciate your feed back

sorry about the double post

I can see why you cropped, to get rid of the house in the lower right corner (LRC). In my opinion, this crop to remove the house cut off the trees too much. Here is a rework where I did less of a crop, and I cloned away the part of the house that remained.

I also bumped luminosity, which is just another term for brightness or exposure. What software do you use to process your images? I use Lighroom, and you can increase luminosity by using the Exposure slider, and also possibly the whites or highlights sliders.