Burned & Broken

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

About 4 to 5 years after a fire, the trees that remained standing start breaking off at the top, leaving a landscape even more stark than before.

I made this quite awhile ago, and I can’t remember what I was thinking at the time. I do remember thinking “oh, that’s cool!” when I superimposed the trees on the log. It’s rather surreal, but then these landscapes are surreal as they are.

Specific Feedback

Any comments welcome. I’m not looking for anything specific.

Technical Details

Two iPhone 14 photos - one of the trees against a pure blue sky and one a closeup of a burned log.

Layer stack in PS:
Screen Shot 2024-03-03 at 1.18.29 PM

2 Likes

This is indeed surrealistic Bonnie. I love it. You couldn’t have picked a better BG for this to blend the trees into. It makes me think of Japanese artwork for some reason. I love the little bits of green growing in the burned out bark too. Regeneration . . .

Thanks, @Ed_Williams. It is quite graphic, like Japanese art. The bits of green are actually bushes on the landscape with the trees. They come through the bark layer because of the blend mode used.

Bonnie, I like your choice of subject. The suggestion of sunlight on the trunks adds warmth to the starkness of the overall composition. I find the horizontal log very dominant in the scene. It keeps pulling me away from the vertical lines that intrigue me. There is a fundamental tension between those elements. It is refreshing to see nature through your eyes.

Thanks, @Barbara_Djordjevic. I see what you mean about the proportions of the horizontal log to verticals. I may have cropped off the top a bit, and have more sky. I’ll have a look. That being said, I’m ok with a bit of tension.