Burnt But Beautiful

Black and white

I like this hillside covered with these trees that were obviously in a fire. I love the shapes and the grasses around them.

Specific Feedback Requested

I also did it in black and white. Which do you prefer? Anything else.

Technical Details

Nikon D3400, ISO 100, 183mm, f6.3, 1/640

3 Likes

Hi Vanessa,

This is quite excellent. I think the composition and how you framed and included things is working very well. The contrast of the burnt bushes against the golden summer grasses is the main reason I much prefer the color version.

Actually upon second view, I also really like the b&w version as the graphic nature of the scene is enhanced with much more stark contrast. hmmmm… tough call.

No nits or suggestions. Not a big deal, but I don’t see this as very abstract. But that’s not so important, it’s a terrific image.

Lon

1 Like

It’s a nice find for sure - I think I would like to see it in lower light though as there’s not enough in contrast here to give my eye anywhere to rest. The black and white I would like to see much stronger blacks. The lower 1/5 of the image has a lot of unnecessary distractions as well, so perhaps a crop could work.

1 Like

Hi Lon! Thank you for your comments! Yes, I think you’re right about it not really being abstract. I changed it to just landscape. I think everytime I’ve ridden past this scene it looks abstract to me but in a picture not so much!

Thank you, Matt for those suggestions. I was trying to keep the grasses soft in the b&w so that made it not as strong of blacks, I’ll have to try again. I too was thinking I needed to crop off the bottom but I didn’t want to lose that little yellow flower bush towards the bottom either!

1 Like

The real hero is the trees, so I don’t think the flowers add much if I’m being honest. =)

No worries Vanessa! I get your point about seeing this as an abstract; at least I think from a figurative perspective; from a literal perspective, we know what we’re looking at. But again, not a issue at all. But what you said makes me think of those “drive by” situations - where a scene looks really cool (like driving by vineyards), where things come across as abstract - but when you stop to photograph them… they look different.

1 Like

Haha! You’re probably right @Matt_Payne! I think I’m just taken with everything about this new scenery that I’m in and want to capture it all! Even the flowers! :slight_smile:

So true @Lon_Overacker and then you can’t always get the exact angle you want either or at least what your eyes are zeroing in on! Appreciate your feedback and comments as always!

Ah, that’s a common scene around here. I, too, love soft grasses around the burnt trees. The contrast of the soft grass texture and the gnarled dark branches is striking.

I really like the color version better. The b&w version feels flat, which makes sense because you’re trying to keep the soft texture of the grasses. And I just like that golden brown/black color combo. I could see brightening the grasses a bit, as it might soften them even more. I gave it a whirl, lightening the grasses and darkening the trees. To my eye, it also brought out the yellow flowered shrubs a bit more. I also agree with Matt P. about the stuff poking up from the bottom left and right sides. So, I cropped a bit off those edges. See what you think. Anyway, nicely seen.

1 Like

Well seen, Vanessa. I like what @Bonnie_Lampley has done here, especially lightening the grasses. The added contrast between grasses and trees makes it more abstract too. I find it a very relaxing shot.

2 Likes

Hi @Bonnie_Lampley! Thank you for your feedback! Even though I miss the golden brown grasses, I do like how what you did brings out the trees and the yellow flowers more, as that’s what is so interesting about the scene anyway! Also I do see what you and @Matt_Payne are saying about the bottom. I see that even with the crop and your adjustments there still are plenty of those flowers around without taking away from the trees. Thanks for showing me!

1 Like

Thank you @Mike_Friel , I’m glad you like it and find it relaxing! Yes, I too like the improvements @Bonnie_Lampley has made to it.