Nice Buck

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

I was driving around yesterday morning to see what I could see and I came upon this fine looking specimen who was willing to let me shoot him some. I admired his nice rack and also his uni-brow. The combination of the dark and the amount of white on its face is unusual for around here. I’ve not seen that before. D500, Nikon 200-500 lens, Nikon 1.4 TC, hand held, 1/1000th, f 8…0, 300mm, ISO 3600, AI clear, cropped to 3185 x 3673.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Gorgeous animal Dave. Love the composition you’ve gotten here, also the look on the buck’s face. Very nicely done.

He does look like an unusual specimen. Nice colors and good light. My preference would have been to include the feet in the frame, and a slightly looser crop elsewhere.

The face is perfect in focus but looks like an Arial frame. As suggested overall loose composition would help.

Dave: this is a very handsome buck. I don’t know how much you’ve cropped, but it’s a bit too much. The animal has very little room I the frame and it’s possible that you’ve cropped off his feet. I had an AP photographer friend who told me “thou shalt not amputate by crop” :sunglasses: Richard

I’ve been quietly absorbing these critiques that I knew I’d get. The high POV and the too tight cropping. I know better but the buck was lower than me, and I had no way to back up and still see him so I took the shot anyway with too much glass. I did not have time to remove my 1.4 TC which would’ve helped the cropping but I sure was stuck with the angle. I thought it was worth keeping though, flawed that it was. I almost didn’t post it. Ha!