Night at Svalbard

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.
  • Technical: Feedback on the technical aspects of the image, such as exposure, color, focus and reproduction of colors and details, post-processing, and print quality.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

Have not done any particular post processing. Any suggestions ?

Technical Details

Hi Trym,
I like the fact that this is a totally different scene from Svaldbard than what I’m used to seeing.
The scene feels overly warm to me - I think that is snow yet it has an orange cast to it as does the cloud in the sky. I’d go for less saturation overall and work to bring those blues a tiny bit darker while cooling down the FG a bit.

Welcome to NPN, Trym. This is a great first post. As Matt said, it does look a little warm for a nighttime, astro type of image. But that should be easily fixed with a white balance shift.

I am sure you’ll like our community here. I look forward to seeing more of your images.

Cheers,
David

Trym,

Welcome to NPN! Glad to have you here and thank you for jumping in with your first post.

Thanks for letting us know you hadn’t really done much in processing - and it makes sense somewhat as this looks more like a RAW file - kinda flat and probably original white balance.

I think Matt’s comment/suggestions are right - and so I took it a step further and made some adjustments in PS. Please understand that these are just personal interpretations and may not fit your vision. But since we don’t know wha the vision is, I thought I would offer some suggestions.

First, took this in to Adobe Camera Raw, ACR (most use LR these days…) and I cooled the white balance a little and played with the blue saturation and luminosity.

Then in PS, I masked the sky, further deeping the blues with both Sat and Levels adjusment layers. Then I inverted the selection in to another layer and boosted the landscape a little more also with saturation and Levels adjustments (reduced the reds in the snow)

I’m not really convinced the snow would be so white given the time of day, but just trying to increase clarity.

Lastly, cropped a little off the bottom. Your original I think it was clear you wanted to give equal footing to the starry sky and the snow-dusted mountains, but it did leave the viewer with a bit of a 50-50 comp, which forces the question, what drew your attention? the sky or the mountain/snow.

This is just a quick pass, and of course editing a 1,000px jpg doesn’t come close to what can be done on the original Raw, but just for ideas.

Thanks for posting! We look forward to more and for your participation.

ps. - I think I went to far with blue sat. I was going for a “deeper” blue/black - deep space kinda presentation.

Velkommen til NPN, Trym.

I think @Lon_Overacker has made some very good suggestions about processing. My general processing workflow for a starry sky image starts in Lightroom Classic, where I adjust the dehaze and (maybe) clarity a bit, then adjust the highlights, shadows, whites and (sometimes) blacks sliders to get the tonal range I want. I almost never adjust contrast here, and only rarely touch saturaton. Instead, I use the HSL/Color luminosity and saturation sliders to manipulate different colors individually if I think doing so is helpful. From here, I would move the image into Photoshop, where I am a big fan of the TK8 tools add on produced by Tony Kuyper. I find luminosity masks to be very powerful in allowing me to make very targeted adjustments rather than applying global changes to the entire image. I don’t know if you have access to these software options, but if you do, then there is much you can do. I also think you could work exclusively with Lightroom and be very happy with your processing. Lightroom is pretty user friendly, and much less complicated than Photoshop in my opinion. If you are willing/able to move into Photoshop, I definitely find TK8 tols to be a worthwhile investment that simplifies many processing tasks that you might want to do. Sean Bagshaw offers a very useful tutorial for TK8 tools, which you can also buy from his website.

Jeg hĂĄper dette hjelper deg. Ha det bra.

Jeff

1 Like

Thanks a lot that you took your time to comment. Looking forward to be part of this community