Notre Dame at Night

When I saw that Notre Dame had burned, I was absolutely crushed. If you’ve ever been in Paris and seen this in person you know how awe inspiring it is, no matter if you’re religious or not. This was shot back in 2010.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any comments appreciated.

Technical Details

28mm, 25 sec @ f/8, ISO 100, Tripod.

2 Likes

Hi David, thanks for sharing this superb image of Notre Dame! There’s so much I like about it, starting with the way in which the incredibly intricate detail of the architecture stand out against the uniformly black sky. As there is nothing for the eye to inspect in the black, it is naturally led to dwell on the facade where there is so much beautiful and sharp detail to enjoy. And the way in which the spire in the centre of the image extends into the darkest of darks is not only beautiful, but can also be interpreted metaphorically, giving the image a spiritual dimension. I was wondering how you got such a black sky. Is this from the original capture, or did you make an artistic decision in post? I think it works great. A beautiful tribute to this monument, and definitely an image worth viewing at full resolution!

Hi Laura, thanks for your comments, much appreciated. This was taken at night. I exposed for the lights, which left the sky almost dark. I believe I took it down a bit more in post processing. There must have been clouds since there were no stars.

Cheers,
David

@David_Bostock Oh, I thought there would be some reflected light if there were clouds? (forgive me if this sounds silly, but I’m no night shooter :sweat_smile:)