Oaks in the Snow

This morning we are getting yet another beautiful snow so I went out to see what I could find. These old oak trees are a favorite of mine so I decided to head there and see how they looked. I’m going to make a point to photograph them in all seasons now and all weather. Any thoughts at all are appreciated. Thanks!

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any pertinent technical details:

Canon 5D4, 24-105 f/4 L @ 45mm, ISO 400, f/11, 1/640 sec.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

I remember these guys. Beautiful look and love the fade out into … Great mood and really nice image, Nick!

1 Like

Outstanding Nick! Great to see a post from you here. :wink: What a grand line of old trees and like Harley, I love how they fade off in to obscurity in the distance. I think the road and fence line also add to that sense of depth, leading the eye down the line of trees.

Beautiful!

We sure seem to be getting a lot of snow across the country!

Lon

1 Like

Thanks Harley and Lon. I really do enjoy these old oak trees and I’m lucky they are just a couple of miles from my home. Yes, the winter started out slow for us but lately we have been getting lots of cold and snow! It works for me. Thanks guys for your thoughts on this. Nick

There is something mesmerizing about oak trees; the twisted curves of the branches and their lofty elegance.

This shows them off very nicely. I like the perspective here, and the fade to… .

The color is very muted, but noticeable, and the tones look great.

Nice job, Nick.
-P

I love it - especially the way that the receding perspective complements the increasing haziness.

That oak in the front is amazing. And somehow it doesn’t really clash with the one behind (due to the hazy conditions, of course). I like how you chopped off the branches at the top.

The only questionable aspect of this image is the featureless snow on the bottom. It’s understandable that it has no texture due to weather conditions. But I’m not sure about that layer of homogeneous white. Even some faint shadow, as there is further down, would help.

The tree makes me think of a rack on an elk. What a spread.

A delightful image Nick. I love how the nearest tree fills the frame at the top and then the story continues with the others as they gradually fade into the distance. There is a feeling in calm and quiet that I appreciate very much.

I think photographing these trees in different weather conditions would make for a worthy project. I look forward to seeing those images in the near future.

Lovely, almost etched image, and I appreciate the oaks fading off into the distance and snow.
Great comp and lots to look at here.

You make the Midwest seem like one big National Park. I always enjoy the way you can see this area.

Want to say thanks to all of you for your comments on this. I have really enjoyed photographing these old oaks and will continue trying to capture there moods in the different season. They are close by and it should be interesting…and fun! Thanks so much! Nick

Nick, this is just my cup of tea! The snow covered areas make for an appealing kind of negative space for me, and I enjoy the subtle details and textures. Thanks for sharing!

Peter

Hi Peter, Thank you! I’m glad you enjoyed this. Nick