Oasis on the Moors

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any? does this need a different perspective on the fg grasses to take full advantage of the wide angle ?

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Canon 7D, 10-22 @ 15, 1/400 @ f11, ISO 250

A view of a small group of trees on the moorland at Lyme Park in Cheshire.

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Ian, this is another great image in your recent series of spring tree shot. The lime greens of the leaves are excellent, and I like how this composition makes the trees larger in the frame to emphasize those colors. I think you have included a nice amount of foreground grasses to serve as lead-in lines to the trees. Nicely seen and composed on your part. My only suggestion for improvement would be to add a bit of vignetting to the corners to draw more attention to the trees.

Ian,

I think perhaps my favorite image from this location. To answer your question, no. I think the use of the wide angle here is maximized with the inclusion of the grasses. I think that’s what you’re after.

This is composed so very well. I like the grouping of trees off center, allowing the clouds to be noticed in the composition. I like the two opposing gentle hills weighing in the frame nicely, as well as getting to see an extended view of the rock wall.

The only thing I’m unsettled on is the LLC. Not sure if I like the open corner. And taking a closer look, it looks you may cloned/healed something out of that corner. Not sure what that was, perhaps a bright rock or something that was distracting. I suppose you could crop in from the left - that might make the trees more centered. If there was something to be removed in that corner, you might tree using more of the straw grasses rather than the greens. A small point though to be sure.

Colors/processing great.

Lon

Ian, I think the “wave” along the horizon really makes the image special and works well for me. I also like the inclusion of the grass in the FG. The processing is spot on for the light in my opinion. I agree with Lon about the LLC. I have a hunch that content aware fill might be able to clean that up very nicely.

Thank you @Ed_McGuirk @Lon_Overacker @Adhika_Lie for all comments - much appreciated. Lon : you are absolutely right about my removing stuff from the LLC - actually some straggly grasses. Think maybe I should have left them - anyway I will certainly revisit that area.