Old Vine

Image Description

This winter I became deeply intrigued by this old muscadine vine on a historic farm near home in metro Atlanta. I noticed it before during the growing season, but it spoke to me the first time this winter in its bare form on a damp, foggy morning. It’s a single vineyard that curves some 50 yards and has so many interesting twists and turns. I loved the old stems and all of the twisty vines, which to me conjure all sorts of metaphors. I went back to photograph it numerous times, so much so the guy I saw walking his dog several mornings in a row must’ve thought I was crazy. :slight_smile:

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.

• Conceptual: Feedback on the message and story conveyed by the image.

• Emotional: Feedback on the emotional impact and artistic value of the image.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

I went with B&W to make it all about form and texture of the vines. I’ve been shooting the vineyard from various perspectives and focal lengths for a project. I’m curious about any of your reactions to this image and whether you feel it makes an interesting enough subject for a project. Thanks!

Technical Details

Nikon Z7, 70-200mm f/2.8 VRII, 160mm, ISO 64, f/11, 1/2 sec

Nice B&W and I like the perspective you took on the vine. I wonder if you could dodge the fence post so they just blend a bit more with the background grasses? Or you could even crop them out and zoom right in on the vine? That might feel a bit tight but there are so many fascinating lines it could maybe work. I like the deep dark tone you’ve given it. I can see why you keep going back! It’s nice to have something like that close at hand to keep exploring. Nice shot - makes you stop and really look.

Hi Steve, I like this photo. Your decision to go BW does certainly bring out the textures and I love the depth. My only nit pick is that there are a lot of twigs and branches on the right to carry my eye out of the photo whereas on the left not so much. I wonder if a crop right up to the tree on the right would make a difference. Love the tonal variation.

Steve,

Talk about order from chaos! This works beautifully! The b&w a wise choice. I think because with b&w you often lose some notion of chaos because the grey tones become grouped together ie. all that messy, unpruned vines, are just a mass of chaos, yet from a tonality point of view they become more of a single element. Not sure if that makes sense.

For this particular image and view, I think you’re right on the border - of either having more space above the left post, or no space at all. And possibly the same question about wanting to see the bottom of the right post. But in any of the cases, the main vine shows quite nicely. I think for sure you have the makings of a wonderful Project.

Nothin like an old vine Zin… :slight_smile:

Well seen and photographed. I hope to see more from this vineyard to see what you come up with.

Lon

The twisting of the vines reminds me of dancers, the way they twist and weave. I really like that effect. I think the choice to go BW was a great one, because I agree this is a story of form and texture. I don’t see any reason the vineyard wouldn’t make for a great project; it will be fun to see what you come up with if you run with it.

Hi Steve, this is a terrific example of showing the order in the chaos. Wonderfully seen and captured. I think B&W is perfect for this. Excellent.

Thank you, @CharlesV, @Richard_Duckworth, @Lon_Overacker, @John_Horn, and @David_Bostock, for your helpful feedback and suggestions, much appreciated! You’ve given me some good things to think about for improving the composition. Thanks for the encouragement to carry forward with a project!