On Reflection

While I’m a sucker for an image like the last one I posted, every once in a while something different will catch my eye as I ramble along exploring the highways and byways.

This is an image from near the Oregon Coast. The winter vegetation can be colorful in early light, and I’ve photographed this shore with its reflections before. When I was here in January of this year, these two geese were kind enough to pose and add to the scene as the morning sun spilled into the background.

Suggestions for improvement welcome.

Nikon D7100
Nikon 55.0-200.0 mm f/4.0-5.6 at 120 mm (180 mm equiv.)
1/6 sec at f/16 and ISO 100

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

John,

MIrror, mirror… what a wonderful moment in time. The reflection and colors are striking enough, but the posing geese really top this off. Not only the geese and their reflection, but I love that the two are near perfect mirrors of each other. Very cool.

The bright and contrasty reflection could be an image all by itself. I guess it’s obvious that the trees and vegetation above and out of sight area nicely lit by early (or late?) light allowing for this wonderful and abstract reflection.

No nits or suggestions. Just a great moment.

Lon

1 Like

This is excellent, John. Nicely framed and beautiful range of colors. The reflected tree trunks are intriguing and the top 1/3 of the image provides a nice anchor. Only thought would be to burn down the brightness of the reflections bit.

1 Like

Wow, this is excellent. Your framing is perfect, with the way the two geese are within a subframe, and then those really cool tree refelections below. I could see emphasizing the geese a bit more, relative to the rest of the frame since there is so much going on besides the geese. Maybe lighten the geese and the area around the geese, while darkening the rest of the frame.

1 Like

There has to be a way to make these geese somewhat pretty and I thin you have done it here. I really like the image design here. I would probably reduce the contrast of the reflection a little bit to soften it but other than that, it looks really good!

1 Like

John, the multitude of warm colors are outstanding. The geese add extra to the story, but it’s the colors that set this off.

1 Like

John,
Talk about perfect timing. Even without the geese this is a lovely image, but they just add an additional element to this great scene. Without your explanation I would have guessed this was taken in the fall due to the array of colors. My only suggestion would be to bring down the brightness of the reflection. Great eye to spot this.

1 Like

Hi John, I didn’t recognize this as yours. This is different for you and it’s really nice. I agree with the suggestions to lower the brightness of the reflection a tad. Minor for sure. I love the colors here, the geese are icing. Really well done.

1 Like