Foggy landscape with geese

Saw a beautiful foggy morning outside today so had to race to one of my favorite sites on Melton Lake , Oak Ridge, TN.

Took some great images of the railway bridge.

Was taking some more non-bridge photos when I heard the geese flying overhead and took this landscape.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any comments welcome

Technical Details

iso: 125
f stop: 8.0
exposure :1/80
focal length: 35

Some editing in LR

1 Like

Hey Eduard,
I like the geese up there… the bright upper right and dark lower left are a nice contrast to each other but I also feel like the frame is quite a bit brighter than it needs to be, unless you did it on purpose to convey something. My eye is constantly pulled to the right half of the frame and not much on the left is visually interesting. Just my 2 cents!
If the birds were a bit further to the right you could crop off the left half and it would be much stronger.

This is a pretty good image to my way of thinking. It has a surrealistic look to it. I don’t think the geese add anything to my interpretation of this image so I would remove them.

Surrealistic is the word, definitely. I think maybe toning down the right side some would help balance the scene. Would love to see your bridge images in the Non-Nature category too. :slightly_smiling_face:

Looks like a painting to me. I would maybe even out the transition from the darker left half to the brighter right half right about where that dead snag is sticking up. Otherwise, I like this image for it’s ethereal qualities. Nothing wrong with it and very painterly.
PS I tried to lighten the blacks on the left side but there is no information in them as they are totally clipped so that can’t be done. Next best thing is to perhaps crop the dark side off. This may not be your intention though. For what it’s worth.

2 Likes

Ed,

I really like the minimalist look and the mood and atmosphere. There’s something dark and mysterious about this too (which is contrary to the brighter right side?) Speaking of which, I’m of the opposite opinion that the signficant dark area on the left is more distracting to me. The brighter right - well, there’s a source of light over there somewhere and I think it’s naturally going to be brighter and then “fade to black” as you move left.

The geese? I think they could be more valuable, but as eluded, the positioning isn’t the best (not like you had control over that…)

I like David’s edit. And if you’re not opposed to it, given the uniformity of the bright sky, you could perhaps “move” the geese a bit lower and a little further left? I dunno.

And actually I had another thought - and that is that this reminds me of a vintage photograph - even as far back as a tin-type from the early days. Complete a little sepia toning and that would do it.

Lon

This is so Keith Carter!! Love it. I would do a combination of two of the suggestions already made. I like @David_Haynes crop but I also love having the geese in the frame. But I’d trust the image more. Everything about the lower part of the image is subtle and soft so, I like @Matt_Payne 's suggestion to bring down the brightness in the sky - I’d say quite a bit. I’m not sure how that would work with the geese, they could be darkened a little, but I’d like to see what it would be like to have them there. Maybe you don’t see them right away but hopefully the reader isn’t doing a 15 second fly-by. I don’t know how you feel about such things, but you could easily move the geese as a way of capturing the feeling if not the factual event.

1 Like