Reflections on the reflex

I was looking in my catalog for an image with certain characteristics and I ended up in this photo that apparently I hadn’t looked at it well…I took it and I liked the final result, besides that I noticed - at the time I didn’t know - that this morning would be the last day with my old D7100 and especially an 80-200 2.8 push/pull that almost fell apart every time I used it…

The image is upside down. I feel it works that way, and suits what I was looking for. Does that work for you?

Specific Feedback Requested

C/C Welcome

Technical Details

Nikon D7100
Nikon 80-200

3 Likes

This feels like a fairy tale world to me. The real world (at the top) is transitory, but the world beneath is solid - an inversion of what we expect. Is that what you were looking for? It’s a beautiful photo.

1 Like

João,

Wow, this is something. Somewhere between Exquisite and a brain teaser.

The mood and image is just beautiful - right up there with all your best images.

Now I say a brain teaser because quite literally even though I know exactly what this is and how you presented it… my mind is still telling me the reflection is on the bottom and I can’t figure out why the non-reflected top, what’s going on up there… but it’s an upside down reflection? It’s like say that 5 times fast…

I guess what I’m trying to say is that my mind doesn’t want to accept that this is a mirrored reflection, upside down. And I’m not quite sure how I feel about that. It would be an exqusite image in it’s original orientation.

And I’ve got to give kudos for sure for not only stepping out of the box, but with both feet!

Lon

1 Like

This is lovely João. The subtle colours and tones, the detail in the small branches and reeds, but especially the brain-teasing effect that occurs when the image is first viewed. I really enjoy something that causes some tension, emotion, or curiosity and this one has certainly done that for me. Cheers.

I love this image as well. Part of it is due to its simplicity. I’m wondering if you could explain why you think it looks better upside down. I don’t necessarily disagree but I am interested in your thoughts on this.

Hello Igor,
Thanks for the coment.

In fact, I was looking for an image to complete a small portfolio that I will present -all images of reflections of trees -and I wanted to show something that would reinforce the idea of ​​what can be reflected in a tangible reality (the surface of the water in most of the photos in the portfolio) and how this reflection can be more important than reality itself.
Since this image is dubious, as it presents reality and its reflection, by inverting reality I pretend to show “reality” in the same way that I present the reflections in the other photos.

I hope my English is good enough to be able to convey an idea that is already very thin…

(For you to get the complete picture, I will put links to the other 4 images of that portfolio)

photo 1
photo 2
photo 3
photo 4

I like this image very much. Thanks for the explanation of why showing it upside down. I understand that it then fits better in your portfolio, but as a stand-alone image I think I would have preferred the image the other way around.

Thank you for explaining the reason why it’s displayed upside down. Even though it has much similarity in reality with the others I find it to be very different from them as an image. In the other images there are two realities often superimposed one on the other. The interest lies in mentally switching from one reality to the other and back again. However in this image as presented the bottom half is an apparition and really the point of the image. The upper part is a distant echo. In fact I don’t see them as being trees all that much.I think the vagueness of the image also helps greatly in the effect being produced. The image is almost bilaterally symmetrical in both vertical and horizontal. I think it may have been a bit sting without the green bushes which break that up, maybe. The muted colors add to the vagueness. I love this image!