Just a reflection

A refelection up site down I only gave it small vignette

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any is welcome

What artistic feedback would you like if any?All is welcome

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

Love it, it’s a very clever idea well executed. I like the contrasty processing and and strong color too. Including the ground puts a nice spin on this image.

With that said, I think you can successfully take this in several other directions, in addition to the presented approach (which I like). One alternative is to remove the ground, and go for a more pano, more abstract take. Another alternative would be to use less contrast and saturation on this scene, for more softer pastel type colors, I think that might out okay too. That’s the nice thing about some images, they are good enough to be taken several different ways. My own personal taste however is as you have presented it here.

My only nit is to burn the very bright white highlight in the water.

1 Like

Lovely image! I agree with @Ed_McGuirk re: the bright highlight in the water. I wouldn’t eliminate it completely as I actually like having that brighter area to add some dimension to the scene but I’d tone it down a bit (but not so much that it goes from a highlight to a dull, flat blob).

I’m torn on the strip of land. My first reaction is that it too much of a detailed contrast against the painterly look of the reflection. I think I’d either crop it out or try to soften it up a bit to blend better with the overall feel of the image.

I’m not a fan of these types of compositions. They’re too gimmicky. A reflection made to look as though growing on top of actual land. Why?

Just my opinion.

Ben,

Absolutely love the painterly reflection; the colors and textures are wonderful.

As far as including the reality of the bank, in this case it’s not really working for me. What’s interesting is that if this isn’t flipped and the far bank is correct, then all is well and expected. In other words everyone knows what is reflected is upside down. But when one flips to make the reflection rightside up, then I might inclined to crop off the reality.

Sure looks like a gold mine of photo opportunities in this pond.

Lon

Really like the idea and the processing, Ben. The colors and shimmering reflections are just fabulous. I agree with Lon on the inclusion of the bank. I can imagine it at the top with the trees upside down, or I think I would really like this with no land at all. Giving us that reference point could lead to that impression of a gimmick rather than an artful composition.
ML