Just an ordinary day

A day as many others but with great light.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

All comments are more than welcome !!

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

F8, 1/1000, iso 200, 24-70 lens at48mm,

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

I must confess that I find this image is not very engaging, Ben. I really like the clouds but I feel that the light is working against you. The dark strip in the middle is not particularly interesting and the reflection is also not on still water. If there is anything, I would clean up the reed at the bottom of the frame and also clone out the water bird.

Hey Ben,

I’m wondering what caught your eye in this scene? Your images often have a strong mood and an instantly recognizable subject but this image I’m not picking up what you’re looking to convey.

@Adhika_Lie, @Nathan_Klein Thank you both for these honest valued opinions. How personal can an image be ?
It’s an image of my environment ,clouds, much water, small villages and very flat. But sadly not saying enough. My wife had warned me that it was rather dull.
Maybe the title was not good and should I have called it “My home” ?
Always pleased with your meaning. I reworked the image a little, only the water bird stays.!

molenzichtAA|690x388

Ben,

I like the scene you chose to photograph. I especially like the reflection and the symmetry it brings to the overall image. I also like the texture in the water from the small ripples.

The tough part is is the basics of light and exposure. That bright sky and clouds up top is just too much and there isn’t enough dynamic range (in a single image) to allow proper exposure for both the sky and the flat lands… I see a steeple, but only can recognize by shape - there is no detail through the center of the frame. Only way would have been exposure blending, hdr, etc.

Having said that the narrow strip of vegetation across the middle works to separate the top and bottom and help with the symmetry. I think by cropping, you’re forcing the viewer to want to see detail in that flat strip of land and vegetation - and it’s not there. I think you’re better off with the original comp and perhaps working on the color a bit - squeezing more pretty blue out of it. Colors remind me of the old standby KR64 (and if anyone knows what that is, you’re as old as me…)

But I’ll have to agree with others, this one just doesn’t have that “Ben impression”, trademark that you impress with most all of your images.

Lon