Tranquillity

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any?About composition and color

Any pertinent technical details: Nikon D850, Nikon 70-200 lens at 95mm, tripod, F11 -1/80- ISO 64, processed photoshop cc 2019 TK actions

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Hi Ben,
Really like the soft light in this picture. The mist really simplifies things as well and gives the whole composition a calm feeling so the tittle is spot on. There’s also good depth, from the first tree on the left to the ones behind it and finally the tree in the background in the mist which for me personally feels like the star subject of the image. The only critique I have is perhaps lowering the highlights a touch, particularly in the top right corner. Great capture!

1 Like

Thank you, Joel. For this interesting comment !

This looks like a great place Ben and you have shown it off really well in this picture. The trees on the right side are quite amazing.

What really draws me to this image is how natural it looks.

Great work!

An outside the box approach to taming those highlights would be to consider a radically different crop here, it totally changes the approach to the image, but it may be some food for thought.

I think Ed’s crop suggestion is the way to go on this lovely scene, Ben. It distills the scene down to just the wonderful lighting in the trees and eliminates the bright URC.

I like the tree front left and the “line” going down right to the distant tree. Another approach would be to pull down a grad filter filter from upper right to darken the sky or use a luminosity mask to de-emphasize the sky.

I had a good look at your suggestions. Especially about the cropping.
I did already use a Luminosity mask to make the right top corner more blue and less bright.
In your crop the tree in front becomes a bit chopped off. So, it’s one or the other.
And I don’t like cropping that much.
I go making this image again when the good circumstances are there and try to avoid to much sky in it.
For the future , I love to get this kind of critiques. It makes me think and helps to try other directions.
I will try to give critiques myself but I am not so skilled yet.
Thank you all, this was great and I am always open for more suggestions

Ben van der Sande