Pool of Gold

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Are there any processing errors that are apparent?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Composition and balance

Any pertinent technical details:

two image focus blend one for the cliff the other for the leaves

**You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

This sort of photo is right up my alley Mike. I really like the nice reflected light on the leaves, as well as the reflection of the sunlit sandstone to give the scene a greater sense of context. It’s great how the details underwater are represented so nicely in the reflection of the sky. That texture plays well with the sandstone, and I like the warm/cool look.

I think the composition works quite well, and there is some nice play between the leaves on the surface, and the reflection. I only wish there was a bit more image on the right side since the earthen tones of the wet sand so nicely compliments the oak leaves, and the curve of the waterline is so close to the edge of the frame. That being said, perhaps there was something just out of view that was a major distraction. In any case, I really like the look of this, and would love to have an image like this in my own portfolio. Very solid work.

1 Like

Hey thanks Ben for your thoughtful critique, really appreciate it. You know I had the same feeling about that right hand edge, but at first I thought it might be distracting to have more sand. But you are now the second to make that comment, so I think I have another similar image with more sand and I’ll work that up to see what it’s like.

Mike, really nice bit of seeing on your part to extract this intimate scene from the landscape. Those fallen leaves are intriguing with their varied shapes and colors. I agree with Ben’s comment on wanting to see more room on the right. Strong lines like the edge of the pool can look awkward if they are too close to the frame edge. I also feel like there is too much negative space in the lower left corner, I would consider a crop away from the bottom. This would make the interesting leaves larger in the frame. Maybe something like this

1 Like

Thanks for comments Ed, I must say I certainly agree with the points you made…Thanks! I’m finding the NPN forum is really helpful, so glad for your response.

1 Like

Mike,

This one’s a mind-bender for me; very unique perspective and angle, although clearly it’s just a straight on reflection with the rock cliff directly above. I like what you’ve seen and captured here. The leaves especially. The variety of shapes and color are wonderful.

Have to agree with other comments about the edge on the right (might as well pile on…) and I do like Ed’s crop although there’s probably several options in there.

Very minor, but if you were to ever print this, you might consider cloning out some of the bigger light specs in the water. No biggie though, they’re natural… :wink:

Thanks for sharing.

Lon

I’m very fond of these small scenes, and the leaves and cliff reflection (which sort of looks like a tree for a minute) are just lovely. I much prefer the crop and I might even burn down the cliff some to encourage the eye to wander over to those beautiful leaves.

Love it! I was about to comment on the nice textures, the way it makes me stop and think about what’s going on, and wanting a bit more on the right side… then I saw that’s what everyone said and that’s why I don’t comment much! :laughing:

I appreciate your input Lon, thanks for taking the time to share thoughts.

Great comment Kathy, I admit I didn’t think about burning the cliff and that’s a great idea!

Thanks Brent!