On the Hunt

Critique Style Requested: In-depth

The photographer has shared comprehensive information about their intent and creative vision for this image. Please examine the details and offer feedback on how they can most effectively realize their vision.

Self Critique

I love Red Foxes and they’ve always been good to me. The dry grass is a little busy, but you don’t always get to pick your back and foregrounds! I tend to like more saturated colors, but chose to process this one the way that it is.

Creative direction

This was late October in Yellowstone. It was cold (in the 20’s I think) but very little snow. In processing this, I wanted to accentuate the sort of dry, barren look that we get up here in late fall before the snow really arrives. For animals like the canine’s in the Park, snow actually makes the hunting better. I think this one was eating frozen grasshoppers. The Sun was behind very thin clouds, allowing for some shadows but was also somewhat muted. I’ve intentionally de-saturated the colors to help create the look I was after.

Specific Feedback

I’m always open to all feedback. Do you wish the colors were richer, or does the “look” I was after work for this image?

Technical Details

Nikon D850
Nikon 500mm f/4 (had to rent this one!)
ISO 320, f/4, 1/3200
I’ve created masks in Lightroom to enhance the sharpness of the Fox, but soften the grasses.
This image is a considerable crop from the full image.

Description

I visit this spot whenever I visit the Park. I was hoping to get a Bison on the ridge behind where the Fox was, with the ever dramatic Baronette Peak in the background. I saw this Fox before we were at this pullout though, and jumped out excitedly to get some shots. I set the tripod up as low as it would go and sat on the ground, leaning against the wheel of my vehicle. We watched her for close to an hour, hoping she would also get up on the ridge in front of the mountain, but it was not to be!

2 Likes

Really beautiful image , Paul. That fox is just perfect. I like what you did with the grasses and the fox. It all looks very natural to me. And I don’t think the grasses look busy at all as it’s not like they are blocking the fox in any way. I really love the graceful posture of the fox. You can tell that he was busy and I could see him taking off at any moment, so it’s kind of an action shot if you know what I mean. Must have been so fun to watch! Great capture and post work!

Nice image of this beautiful fox. You caught a nice pose. I think you did a great job of processing the colors. They’re rich without be overly sat. so I would say you got the “look” you were after. Like Vanessa mentioned, I don’t think the grasses look busy. They blend in well with the fox. Very pleasing photo!

What a wonderful capture!! The FG grasses add interest and help show how much detail you captured – the DOF is perfect!

As much as you wanted to show the environment, for me the top 1/5 or so isn’t contributing much and makes the image feel unbalanced. I also wonder if the dark shadows could be lightened just a bit. They feel a bit harsh next to the lovely light on the fox. But I hate to even make any suggestions, the image is so cool!

Compositionally i think this is just about right - appropriate breathing space towards the area your subject is looking into
A little less contrast on the background perhaps and increasing the exposure on the fox itself ?

Love that bushy tail!