Red Fox

A fox seen recently in the “wilds” of our neighborhood backyard field. I think this may be one of the kits raised this spring (just a guess).

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.
  • Technical: Feedback on the technical aspects of the image, such as exposure, color, focus and reproduction of colors and details, post-processing, and print quality.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

I like the profile view here and that the fox is in the relative “open” area of the background.

Technical Details

Canon R7, 400mm DO IS II, 1.4x extender III, tripod
ISO 4000, f5.6, 1/25s

2 Likes

Wonderful composition and colours. My eyes go right to its eyes, then I notice the frost on the grass and back to its eyes. It is definitely wondering about you too. This is a lovely photo!

1 Like

Engagement city! That direct and curious look and stance makes an instant connection with me as a viewer. What a healthy looking critter, too. I just want to put my face into all that fur and have a cuddle. Bad idea, but I can dream. I really like the colors, too, rich, but not overly saturated. Did you try making the grasses poking behind its head disappear? I wouldn’t do anything to the bg except that in this instance. What a fabulous thing that you have them so close and so relaxed around humans. Ours are big chickens.

1 Like

@Robena.Sirett @Kris_Smith Thank you for the comments!

Yes, I tried a version removing the grasses right behind the head. Any thoughts?

I don’t miss them at all.

Now I study it more, it seems a trifle magenta.

1 Like

@Kris_Smith This was taken at first light before sunrise. I brightened it some in post processing. I’ll go back and take another look at the white balance in the raw file. Not sure if this should be optimized any more beyond what you see here. Thanks for pointing it out though.

Great subject and I love the dazed eyes and bushy tail. It looks better sans some grasses. You may slightly burn the foreground if you like.