Male Red Fox

Early this morning I was out in the yard - with my camera, thankfully - when this male Red Fox came sauntering across the yard. He saw me and was wary, but not particularly frightened. He allowed me to kneel down and get several nice shots, then laid down in the grass, rolling around and grooming himself. A stray cat I’ve taken in was beside me watching - until the fox became curious about the cat, and approached us to investigate, at which point the cat took off for the house, as fast as he could go!

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.
  • Conceptual: Feedback on the message and story conveyed by the image.
  • Emotional: Feedback on the emotional impact and artistic value of the image.
  • Technical: Feedback on the technical aspects of the image, such as exposure, color, focus and reproduction of colors and details, post-processing, and print quality.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

I think considering the angle, the environment, and the background, this might be my best, or close to my best fox photo. I’m really happy with this one.

Technical Details

Canon R7, Canon RF 100-500mm, f/8, 1/250 sec., ISO 500 @ 470mm, Ev -0.3 step. Processed in ACR and PSE 2020 for exposure. Full frame, no crop.

4 Likes

Excellent in every way! Put these guys on retainer! (Fancy Feast?? Ask the cat.)

If I wanted to get super-picky, I’d clone out the twigs on the right edge, darken the rocks in the LR and lighten the dark area on the left edge. That would take it from a 99 to a 101.

Wow! I can see why you are so pleased. I would be too. I love how the colour of the fox pops out from the environment as it highlights the beauty of this animal. Well done.

I probably haven’t see all your fox photos, Terry, but I do think- like you - that this one could be the best. The beautifully-lit animal with that sparkling colour makes this a winner. An alternative might be to crop in from the right and just have one tree there, as the fox is looking to our left. But it’s a super shot as is.

The lighting is just right and the fox glows perfectly. The edits that Diane suggested will improve the comp–but you have a very nice version with what has been present. …Jim

Another stunning “fox” photo, Terry. What a run you’re having. Well done.

Thanks @Diane_Miller. Hey, maybe that’s why the fox was so interested in the cat. The only canned food the cat will eat is Fancy Feast. Maybe he smells like it!

Hi and thanks @Robena.Sirett. I agree with your assessment. I tried not to over-process the image because I wanted that natural light to be emphasized in the final.

Thanks @Mike_Friel. I originally did crop out the other trunk of that tree (It’s one large oak tree with two trunks) , but that felt a bit too tight to me. I finally decided to just not crop it at all. A matter of taste to some extent, I suppose.

Thanks @Jim_Zablotny. I did incorporate @Diane_Miller suggestion, and it did improve the image somewhat. I am not going to repost unless someone requests I do so.

Thanks @Dave_Douglass. He certainly gave me some nice opportunities. It was up to me not to blow them!

1 Like

I echo what has been said Terry, a great shot, but as I look at it I’m wondering if a just little more foreground might be interesting to help set the fox in the environment.

1 Like

Yes, Terry, I totally agree! This is your best yet! I think since you were able to have some time to get the right angle and the lighting is perfect. I really love the surrounding too, with the rocks and trees. Very stunning!

1 Like

Thanks @Ryan_H. Unfortunately, I have no more room on the bottom, as this photo is uncropped, full frame. I could add canvas, of course.

Thanks @Vanessa_Hill. It pretty much all came together for this shot!

1 Like