Red Fox, Male + Repost for Crop

Though I see him nearly every day, the Red Fox is not as easily photographed as the Gray Foxes.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any

Technical Details

Canon 60D, Canon 70-300mm IS USM Zoom, f/5.6, 1/500 sec., ISO 1000. Processed in ACR and PSE 2020 for exposure and cropping. Topaz DeNoise.

Repost for Crop

1 Like

Very cool shot. I would take a look at making it a portrait crop by getting rid of the large tree trunk on the right and then some. Just a thought. So cool that you get both reds and grays coming in (not to mention bobcats). I only get grays and only at night. Sigh…

Beautiful photo, Terry. His fur is gorgeous. By his stance, he does seem a bit hesitant to hang around too much. Great capture.

Thanks @Dave_Douglass. I thought about cropping it tighter and may play around with that a bit. I’m indeed blessed with having these critters around.

Thanks @linda_mellor. He is beautiful, but easily spooked. That’s okay, though. I want them to remain wild.

This is a beautiful shot. I love the colors of the fox and the greens. I think I agree with @Dave_Douglass that the tree on the rt. is a bit of a distraction and could be cropped out. Nicely done.

Hi Terry
I like the capture of the fox. There is a couple of things that I recommend you do. The environment shot for this works of the photo has been taken at the eye level of the animal as opposed to shooting over it. For some reason it doesn’t work for me. I recommend a portrait crop to give it that bigger than life look which I’m sure you felt when you took this photo!

OOOHH! If you could arrange more rocks for a more natural BG and maybe a dollop of Fancy Feast to get them to just the right spot? Any way to get a lower perspective?

Our Ring camera on the deck got a video of one a few nights ago – it headed straight for the doormat and took a dump. (Not for the first time…) Then several nights ago we had a Barn Owl on the railing! The neighbors have a new box and I hope it has moved in!

Thanks @Donna_Callais and @nickincalifornia. The consensus here is to crop out more of the environment and concentrate on the fox, so I am reposting with a different crop.

Thanks @Diane_Miller. I can usually work around to get a lower perspective with the Gray Foxes. The Red is not so cooperative, and spooks easily, so I take what I can get! Yes, the Red Fox has a habit of defecating to mark his territory; the Gray Foxes don’t do that. Good luck with the Barn Owl. I have owls around here and hear them frequently, but in 20 years of living here have never gotten a photo!

Yeah, I like the crop. It helps to focus on the fox yet still have some environment mixed in. Nice!!!

1 Like

A great subject and beautiful pose here !
I would have preferred the original post with more space on the LHS, the foreground grass is adding to the frame. To make the tree trunk less obvious, you may selectively reduce the contrast and sharpness.

Good luck with your foxes :call_me_hand:

1 Like