Red Fox, Male

I used a large shrub in my yard as a blind to photograph this handsome guy displaying the beginnings of his winter coat.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon 60D, Canon 70-300mm IS USM zoom, f/8, 1/500 sec., ISO 640. Processed in ACR and PSE 2020 for exposure and cropping. Topaz De-noise applied.

2 Likes

Gorgeous winter coat, Terry. Great detail in the fur and love the intense look on his face. Nicely done.

1 Like

Thanks, Linda. He is definitely a beauty.

I am SOOO jealous of your foxes!! You have a very nice stage for them with a very nice BG and you have a great pose and lighting. I’m curious, though, about the sharp-edged dark halo above his back. I would think it might be a coincidental tree limb but there is a similar one in front of him, just on the right edge of his left shoulder.

1 Like

Thanks, Diane. I am indeed blessed to have these critters around. I don’t see any haloing in the photo but I do see, as you mention, a couple of tree limbs along those edges. In fact, I considered trying to remove them in post, then decided against it. However, if anyone else also sees haloing that I’m missing, I’d like to know.

Hey Terry, what I see when I zoom in on the left side of his shoulder (right side for me) is some black “blurrishnes” (if that’s a word) that I figured was his fur? Along his back I see a arch shaped blur, which at first I couldn’t figure out, but after several looks, I believe it is caused by a branch that is much further back in the scene and therefore blurred. . . …I think? At least that’s my take for what it’s worth. Love the photo, really nice shot.

Hey, Linda. Yes, I think what we’re seeing are dark, oof tree limbs. Of course, that doesn’t mean someone else isn’t seeing something I’m not. I’ve posted another image, shot seconds after the first, with the fox looking at me. With his head turned more toward me, I think there is more separation between him and that limb next to his left shoulder. The oof limb along his back didn’t change, of course. Whatever the case may be, he’s still a handsome dude! Thanks!

@terryb - a very nice portrait of this critter. Lucky to have such opportunities.

I like most everything about the image. As noted I too saw this small branch above the foxes back that was just in an unfortunate place. As I looked at the image critically I also wanted the background to be a bit softer and less noisy. Easy adjustments with a couple of masks. Then on the left there were some brighter twigs that just didn’t fit. Also added a subtle custom vignette. It’s the little things that can push an image to the next level.

Here’s the result:

1 Like

Thanks, Keith. The differences are subtle, but noticeable. One of my failings is that I have not yet learned how to apply masks.

I really prefer the rich tones on its coat in the second image. Did the sun create these, or was the processing a bit different? That said, the pose of image 1 is more strikingly alert. Possible to get the best of both worlds?

I suspect it’s in the processing, Mike though when I look at the RAW files his coat is a bit darker in the second photo. There was shifting light when I took these photos so I suppose that could account for some of it.

Hi Terry!
Your foxes are getting better and better!
@Keith_Bauer did a fine job with it.

1 Like

Thanks, Jagdeep. Practice, practice, practice!

1 Like

He is gorgeous, Terry. I too am jealous, but at the same time happy for you. Your fox pictures are improving.

1 Like

Thanks, Shirley. They are definitely beautiful animals, and fun to photograph.

1 Like