Red Fox again

Saw this fox about ten minutes before sunrise this morning.

Specific Feedback Requested

What do you think about the composition? I like the fronds above the fox so included more of them in the image.

I think image quality is suffering some from high ISO (4000) on a crop sensor body. Had to clean up the image using Topaz Denoise. I think it looks okay but any thoughts on IQ would be appreciated. I used my Canon prime lens with extender on this shot instead of the Sigma zoom.

Technical Details

Canon R7, Canon 400mm DO IS II, 1.4x extender III, tripod
ISO 4000, f6.3, 1/50s

1 Like

I like the composition and the fox stands out nicely. Noise looks like it cleaned up well but I wonder if focus hit just a little behind the fox? Still a lovely image and kudos for being there!!

Allen, this is a very handsome fox. It’s a nice visual play on words with the foxtail grasses behind. The image quality has issues, with the front half of the body looking soft while the rear haunch shows good detail. Looking carefully at the larger version, I’m thinking that it’s a dof issue, since parts of the head look sharp while others lose detail. You should be able to go on-line and find dof tables for your set-up. I’m guessing that the dof is in the few millimeters for this rig and f-stop.