Red Fox in the back field

I met a couple of other photographers one morning well before first light to see if a fox would show in the field behind our house. That morning the whole family showed up before first light with about four foxes scurrying and jumping on each other all over the field. Once it got light enough for photos, this fox appeared in the back of the field for a brief pose.

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.
  • Conceptual: Feedback on the message and story conveyed by the image.
  • Technical: Feedback on the technical aspects of the image, such as exposure, color, focus and reproduction of colors and details, post-processing, and print quality.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

I like how the fox is showing its teeth in this pose and seems to be rather relaxed overall. I decided to crop rather loosely and leave in the two flowering bushes behind the fox.

Technical Details

Canon R7, 400mm f4 DO IS II, 1.4x extender III, tripod
ISO 4000, f5.6, 1/50s

Hello Allan,
This is a very sweet image; the fox is a little wary and curious! I am jealous you have foxes so close. I like how you have cropped as I think any closer would be too soft/noisy. I also think the two bushes are a nice frame. I don’t know how much post-processing you like to do…to be picky, there are a few holes in the foliage on the left side that are slightly distracting. Sounds like a fun morning!

1 Like

Allen, what a cool experience. Nicely done here. I like the pose, the position in the frame, and the overall framing in general. Light touch on the processing is nice too.
The message I get is…why are you looking at me, looking at you? :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Hey, Allen. Like @Robena.Sirett, I like the way the blooming bushes frame the fox. Anytime we can catch one with it’s mouth open, that’s a bonus. One can almost see what this guy is mulling over in his mind; the curiosity is evident, and he doesn’t appear to be overly cautious. Processing appears to be good.

1 Like

What a great shot of this beautiful fox. The BG blends in wonderfully and the pose is great. I agree with @Robena.Sirett that the two holes on the left are a little distracting. Other than that, I can’t find anything else to critique. Nice job.

1 Like