On Top of the World

Mike and I were making our way back north on Skyline Drive toward Thornton Gap as we wanted to get off before dark, when we came to the Tunnel Parking Overlook. We decided to stop because there was only one vehicle there and we were tired of the crowds. There was a nice little roadside cascade; right before entering the tunnel; as well as a wonderful view with some clearing fog and rain clouds. We spent a little more than an hour trying out different compositions before we decided that we were done. I literally felt like I was on top of the world for this composition as the clouds parted and afforded us this view into the Shenandoah Valley.

Specific Feedback Requested

All C&C welcome

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Nikon D800, Nikon 80-200 @ 200mm, f 13 @ 1/8 sec, MLU, CPL, cable release & tripod.

Wow! I love the look down into the clouds and fog. I think it’s a very nice touch that both lower corners are vignetted. I love the soft detail on the trees and the cool colors.

1 Like

Thanks so much @Diane_Miller; glad you enjoyed the image. Mike and I had a great day of shooting and the images we captured from this overlook were quite satisfying with the swirling clouds and fog. It made for the perfect way to end the day before heading back to MD.

I really like the depth in this image. You have the FG ridge , then some fog, then the distant ridge. I also like the very faint suggestion of some red in the clouds.
:vulcan_salute: