Fog and Rain

Mike and I went to Shenandoah NP on two different occasions in November and I never used my 17-35mm lens, which is a rarity for me. There were just so many scenes that needed to be extracted from the overall landscape that it never left the bag.

This particular image was taken on the first day trip from the tunnel overlook during a light rain as the clouds and mist were starting to breakup toward sunset. We had originally stopped at the overlook because there was only one vehicle and by this time of day we were tired of the crowds. I am so glad we stopped as our time spent was so productive that I came away with several keepers from the hour and 15 minutes spent there. It was a great way to end our trip.

As always thanks for taking a moment to leave your thoughts.

Specific Feedback Requested

All C&C welcome.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Nikon D800, Nikon 80-200 @ 200mm, f 13 @ 1/60 sec, ISO 400, CPL, cable release & tripod

2 Likes

This looks really good, Ed. You guys were nailing it on those trips. Processing looks great.

1 Like

Ed, the mix of misty colors looks very good. What a treat to get some special conditions.

1 Like

I love these foggy Fall color pictures you guys are getting. The diagonal line in the fog here adds dynamics to the image. Personally, I am wishing there are more pixels all around I want to get lost in this fog and foliage.

1 Like

Another nice image from your recent trip Ed. Your gonna give @Ed_McGuirk a run for his money with your fog pictures. :slight_smile:
Great mix of green, yellow and orange in this shot and I like the diagonal line of fog breaks this up into two triangular sections and adds a bit of tension/dynamics to the shot. Incredible that you were able to get several keepers from just one pull out location. Amazing. I can see why you pulled out the longer lens for this location. Quick question: Did you have wind at the location? I noticed that your ISO was way up at 400 even though you had a tripod. Great image Ed!

1 Like

Great shot, Ed. Is this with your old 80-200? Lots of sharpness in the 2000pixel image. I could get lost in it. I really like how the clouds add some depth to the image. They really separate the FG ridge from the BG hillside.
:vulcan_salute:

1 Like

What a lovely scene. You made a nice composition, with the fog in that angled draw giving this good depth.

1 Like

Thanks everyone @Harley_Goldman, @Mark_Seaver, @Adhika_Lie, @David_Haynes, @Michael_Lowe and @Bonnie_Lampley for your thoughts on this image; always appreciated. It was a fun and productive day of shooting.

@David_Haynes : The 400 ISO was actually a mistake on my part as I forgot to turn it back down. :crazy_face:

@Adhika_Lie : Actually this is a crop of a horizontal. The clouds were moving a little fast and I did not get it framed quickly enough so the left side has less of the fog. Here is the original.

@Michael_Lowe : This was taken with the old heavy beast! It is pretty sharp; if you know where to look in the file you can actually see some rain falling.

1 Like

Ed, actually the full frame looks amazing. In this comp, the fog seems to travel fast from the right to left. This is a winner in my book.

1 Like

Ed, talk about being at the right place at the right time! Amazing colors and a bit of fog to add some character to the landscape. I think I like the full frame as well. You can tell the fog has motion and is settling in to the valleys.

1 Like

Thanks for the kind words @kelly_cole . Glad you enjoyed the image.