Shenandoah Fog

The fog was perfect this particular morning in Shenandoah NP as it provided some lovely atmospherics and helped simplify this forest scene. I am hoping for some similar conditions when I head back there at the end of May.

As always thanks for taking a look and leaving a thought.

Nikon D700, Nikon 80-200 @ 80 mm, f 16 @ 1/25 sec, ISO 200, cable release & tripod

What technical feedback would you like if any?

All C&C welcome

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

All C&C welcome

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Ed, I am a fan of fog images for all of the reasons you display with this interesting scene. Your use of the fog creates great depth and encourages the viewer to look deeper to study the details. As you said the fog also reduces the chaos and creates a cleaner looking composition.
I have no nits on this one!
Very well done!

Really nice, Ed !!!

I love how you worked so many layers of trees into the composition, each with its own level of diffuseness. It is a very pleasing arrangement of trees, especially the 2 primary ones. The warmish white balance here creates a very pleasing mood. And there are just enough leaves on the trees to add another layer of interest. This is very nice as presented, my only suggestion would be a very slight crop from the top, to eliminate the two white triangles between the three trunks in the ULC, but that is a subjective nit, it’s great as presented.

Beautiful shot with lots interest and depth. I think I like Ed’s idea of a slight crop from the top.

This is beautiful, Ed. I am a big fan of this kind of image, too. I wish we have more occurrence like this in Southern California.

Hi Ed, that’s some serious fog. I’ve just moved to an area known for fog from an area that really gets fog. I’m looking forward to getting out there when fall arrives.

My suggestion and you may have already tried this would be to darken the main tree so that it has more tonal separation from the rest of the scene. It may not work for the mood you’ve created here but might be worth trying.

Lovely image, Ed ! I like the balance of tones - maybe, as has been suggested, a touch more black on the fg tree but I’m not sure if that might not spoil the delicacy of the overall effect. One other p;ossibility for any further enhancement might be a touch of grain. Whatever I think this is excellent as is.

Ed,

Fog is indeed perfect here, creating a wonderful and mysterious mood. Great set of trees and I love how they fade away the further back you go.

I just thought of this. I think fog also makes one feel a little closed in - or a more intimate part of the scene you’re photographing or simply being immersed in. Fog is cool.

Lon

Many thanks to @Alan_Kreyger, @Ed_McGuirk, @Blake_Randall, @Adhika_Lie, @Nathan_Klein, @Ian_Wolfenden and @Lon_Overacker for taking a moment to leave a comment or suggestion as it is always appreciated. I am glad everyone enjoyed the image. Here is a slightly cropped version suggested by @Ed_McGuirk and @Blake_Randall. @Nathan_Klein, I will try your suggestion again. I just haven’t got anything yet that looks right to me.

Lovely image, Ed. Great eye to see this top notch composition. I love the separation of the trees as they recede into the mist.:vulcan_salute:

Thanks for the kind words @Michael_Lowe; glad you enjoyed the image.