Apparitions In the Mist

This is from a couple of years back while in Shenandoah NP, VA. The fog this particular morning provided some lovely atmospherics to the forest as it swirled about the trees. It was a little hard finding a pleasing composition in all the chaos of the forest, but I liked this one.

As always thanks for taking a moment to leave a thought.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

All C&C welcome

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

All C&C welcome

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Nikon D700, Nikon 80-200 @ 100 mm, f 16 @ 1/20 sec, ISO 200, cable release & tripod

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

I like the dreamy mood and sense of mystery. To my eye, the image has a yellow cast to it (I initially thought it was green, but it is yellow). I pulled it into PS and pulled down the yellow and liked the result.

Just lovely. Mysterious, in a friendly way. I love the fine details of the squiggly branches that we can just make out in the mist.

Ed, this is a nicely spooky view, with the very heavy fog. I like the spacing of trees and the small number of branches that show as they both fade into the fog.

Hi Ed - I love the heavy fog with just a faint hint of the trees, and I think it works well overall. If this were my photo, I might consider two things. First, as Harley mentioned, you could try a more neutral or even cooler color balance. I think the warmer cast works in the sense that it gives a light, bright feel but you could experiment with other interpretations. The other thing you could consider would be a crop to the left. The tree on the very right has such a different shape than the other trees that it pulls my attention away. from the straight tree in the middle and the repeating trees behind it.

I think you found a really good composition, Ed. I really like the feel of the fog and the patterns of the trees.

No chaos here Ed! A great find. Incredibly soft and fine texture and a glow that is really nice. You chose your contrast nicely. What I love most about this is that you have 3 main focus points (trees) and each of those trees are so different in shape. The tree in the middle balances the outer trees with their fine twiggy branches while the center tree is all trunk and standing strong. I love the yellow cast to this as well. It’s immediately noticeable but it works well. It hints at fog with maybe the sun peaking through soon. Kind of eerie too.

Many thanks to everyone @Harley_Goldman, @Bonnie_Lampley, @Mark_Seaver, @Sarah_Marino, @Dennis_Plank and @David_Haynes for the C&C; always appreciated. It was a wonderful experience shooting in the fog. Here is a repost hopefully addressing your suggestions.

@Harley_Goldman: I reduced the yellow by 6 points. Better?
@Sarah_Marino: Thanks for your crop suggestion as I think works as well. I originally framed it this way as I think the upper part of the tree in the middle mimics the branches of the one on the right edge.