Clearing Fog

This is a scene from our recent trip to Shenandoah NP. It has been a few years since I have been there and I have to say that I quite enjoyed myself. We had been waiting for a couple of weeks trying to time a rain event while catching some autumn color and we finally got a day where they merged. There are very few reds in the park; unlike New England; mostly yellows and oranges on the slopes of the mountains. I was really surprised at how many people were in the park as it was quite foggy for most of the 55 miles of Skyline Drive that we completed. We had planned a hike down to Dark Hollow Falls, but upon arriving the parking lot had more vehicles than I have ever seen there so we just kept on driving. This image was taken later in the day toward sunset as some of the fog was clearing from the slopes.

Mike already mentioned in his last post, but everywhere we stopped other vehicles would soon follow and people would get out and literally invade your space. I had to hold my tripod once as kids were getting to close and I was afraid of what might happen. oh well, enough of my venting.

As always thanks for taking a moment to leave your thoughts.

Specific Feedback Requested

All C&C welcome.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Nikon D800, Nikon 80-200 @ 80mm, f 13 @ 1/60 sec, ISO 400, CPL, cable release & tripod.

1 Like

Great shot, Ed. Your umbrella holder is proud of you. The smaller thumbnail doesn’t do justice and the larger image really makes the scene come alive.
:vulcan_salute: :vulcan_salute: :vulcan_salute: :vulcan_salute:

1 Like

BTW there is a dust spot about 1/3 from the left and a little over 1/2 way up.

1 Like

Ed this is too cool. I love the seesaw of the hills the foreground and the wonderful fog/cloud/mist in the background. Excellent.

1 Like

Where tripods go, selfie sticks are sure to follow :face_vomiting:

I love it when the plumes of mist rise like this, it adds a lot of energy and vitality to the image. And the plumes repeat the diagonal lines of the ridgelines, which is nice too. My only suggested tweak would be to do a very slight crop from the top. I’m not sure why, but doing a slight scroll crop on my monitor seems to help a bit.

I’ve always been slightly surprised that you and Mike favor New England over Shenandoah NP. Yes we get more reds in New England. But a lot of stuff in New England has to be shot from the bottom of valleys looking up. There aren’t a lot of non-hiking locations where you can get the big views looking down on a scene from the top of a mountain. It seems like Shenandoah NP (or the Smokies) offers more of a chance to do that (like you have here).

1 Like

Beautiful view and mood. No nits here.

It seems everywhere is getting crowded. More people, less manners and consideration. It is the modern world… Waddya do?

1 Like

I really enjoy the drama of the mist sweeping past above the trees. I love moments like this. My only critique is that I’m a bit bothered that the closest, most distinctive single tree in the composition is cut in half on the bottom right. I wish there were a way to see the rest of it, but I understand that probably wasn’t possible given your position and/or lens.

1 Like

Ed, this looks great. Pleasantly restful and inviting (in spite of the shooting conditions). The atmospherics are a fine change-of-pace from the usual, plus it’s hard not to see the valley from Skyline Drive.

1 Like

This comes across as a sensitive image, trying to let us feel how it was, as well as see how it was. Good for you to have gone hunting for this image in this weather. For me, I felt that the sky was somehow too prominent, and as I played with the image, I ended up warming it and bringing down the whites a bit. I ended up cropping out the top part of the sky, as it seemed to diminish the energy of the rising cloud columns; that resulted in cropping some of the left, so the snags were closer to the edge, seeming to be a decent anchor. I tried flipping it, so the rising clouds flowed up and to the right, which seems to give the overall image different energy.

1 Like

Many thanks to @Michael_Lowe, @David_Bostock, @Ed_McGuirk, @Harley_Goldman, @jefflafrenierre, @Mark_Seaver and @Dick_Knudson for taking a moment and leaving your thoughts; always appreciated. I am glad everyone enjoyed the image as much as I do. Here is a repost with @Ed_McGuirk’s slight crop from the top suggestion. I think that tightens the image rather nicely.

@Michael_Lowe : And you did a fine job as an umbrella holder keeping us and the camera fairly dry. :smiley: I couldn’t find the dust spot, but will look again.

@Ed_McGuirk : I love the vomit quote; my feelings exactly. The plumes of mist were rather awesome for a little spell. Shenandoah is quite nice for sunset/sunrise and foggy scenes, but the waterfalls are all a little trek to reach, especially as I get older. :smiley: I think the attraction for New England is the diversity of things for the photographer to capture.

@jefflafrenierre : I honestly don’t remember if there was anything there or not other than I was usuing the 80-200 and I was at 80mm with this comp.

@Dick_Knudson : Thanks for taking the time to do a rework, much appreciated. I see where you are coming from as I usually prefer things to flow left to right. Food for thought.

1 Like

It is hard to see but it’s there.

I love fog Ed. Pair it with fall colors and you’ve got me. I actually really like the muted colors that you’ve got here without the reds you were talking about. And that fog is so dramatic looking that it seems alive. It seems most of the national parks are just inundated with people looking to get outdoors. Many of them are first timers to these locations and don’t appreciate the beauty and how sensitive they are to being trampled, and defaced. I have never seen so much trash just thrown on the ground in these scenic parks as I have the last couple of years. Pretty sad to be in such beauty and to treat it like a dumpster. OK, enough of my venting!!! :slight_smile: Beautiful image Ed.