One Dead Flower

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

Do we find beauty in a dead flower?

3 Likes

Beautiful, Steve. Excellent detail and the lines of the petals really appeals to me. I do kind of wish that the white mold hadn’t gotten so far, but it’s a minor element and the rest more than compensates. Excellent image.

I find wonderful beauty in this, and in many past-their-prime flowers. I love the lighting you did! For me, the white mold works – I can even imagine it is frost or a remnant of snow.

Thanks, Dennis

Thanks Diane

The lighting and the sharpness of the image really bring out the decay very well. I also like how the flower fell apart so uniformly. It adds to the symmetry and the way you centered the subject. Nice seeing.

Steve: We are always looking for the perfect subject and often forget that there is beauty in the aging as well. Superb lighting and details in the head. My only suggestion would be to make the intruding petal in the URC go away and maybe trim the end of the petal exiting the frame on the bottom. Nicely conceived, captured and presented. >=))>

Beautiful Photograph !!! Great Framing and Tone.

Steve, winter’s “flowers” offer lots of photo ops and this shows that very well. The withered flower shows well, while it’s the abstract and subtle nature of the background that adds a lot of extra interest. I would crop this to 4 x 5 (from the right) to move the main flower off center for a bit more drama, but that’s an artistic choice.

Thanks for all the great input everyone
Here are a few more I have been playing with.

There is beauty in each of them, Steve. I like what @Bill_Fach said that there is beauty in aging, I will have to remember that when I look into the mirror! I keep forgetting to try this in our flower garden when some of the flowers are past their prime.

Oh, definitely!! Did you light this or use natural light? Either way, it’s super. I’m rather with Mark on the crop, taking off a bit of the right.

Thanks again, everyone.
@Bonnie_Lampley you asked about what light I used.
IMG_7031
Having a lot of fun in my new studio.

1 Like

Another beautiful image of a fading flower, Steve. Nice to see how you set it up.