One of the Cleanup Crew & repost

(https://images.naturephotographers.network/original/3X/8/7/87f0fa06657d9d1f18519767d0f0b8ced9cc0b21.jp![image|690x460](upload://joAKpI0BtltOjFxJPPaieUwvlpT.jpeg) eg)

This was one of my favorite encounters with a group of Turkey Vultures! I was at the trail head of my favorite hike and I could see the Turkey Vultures and one Black Vulture swooping down behind the trees on the river bank. So I climbed down the embankment and came close to the trees working my way upriver to where they were gathering! I was able to get pretty close and watch them for awhile. I couldn’t see what they were eating but it must have been a big animal that washed up on the bank of the Hudson River. It was incredible to watch the Vultures taking turns feeding and then rest in the trees while waiting their turn. It was quite a thrill to be in their presence for awhile and feel accepted by them, since they would look at me but continue to eat and rest!

Specific Feedback Requested

I know it’s probably not as sharp as it could be, but does it tell a story? I also have a crop in vertical and a little closer as well as no crop for maybe a more environmental shot…any thoughts, comments, critique appreciated.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Nikon D3400
ISO 1100
300mm
f/6.3
1/1000
(Part of the reason I do 1/1000 a lot is because I only handhold and am not usually in a good position to steady myself, in this instance trying to crouch on uneven rocky, sandy terrain, etc)

naturenessie

It’s a nice environmental shot. Amazing they can navigate all those branches to find a perch. If mine, I’d probably try to eliminate the branch that seems to be poking the vulture in the head.

1 Like

I was thinking that but afraid I’d mess it up, how does this look?..

I like this better as it gives more space around the head.

1 Like

I think the Vulture feels better too! :grin:

Hi Vanessa I prefer the first photo, the vertical. That branch does have to come out though. You did a good job taking it out on the other photo. I like the nice muted colors. Exposure and focus look really good.

1 Like

Thanks! Good to know that the exposure is ok. It’s the same photo, good to know you like the vertical, I like it that way too because the Vulture is closer, but I know maybe not everyone feels the same way!

Sounds like a very cool encounter. I like the environment here. It helps a lot that you don’t have bright sky peeking through anywhere in the BG. I think I’d go for something closer to the below:

1 Like

@Lyle_Gruby Yes, it was thrilling! I like this crop! Because it brings the vulture closer but still leaves the surroundings and gets rid of some of the blurry foreground branches! It was a gray day and the background is actually cliffs on the other side of the river! Thanks for your feedback and interest!

Hello, Vanessa, a nice species to be able to capture this way. It does tell a story to me, as it shows that the bird sits among all those branches (I for instance didn’t know they would be in this kind of surroundings). Good that it’s looking at you as well. Your repost works fine with me. You may try to elevate the contrast a bit, since it seems the image could use a little, but that’s up to you. Cheers, Hans

1 Like

@Hans_Overduin
Hi Hans! Thanks for taking the time to look and your feedback! I’ll try and see what I can do with the contrast. I just don’t want to ruin the beautiful feathers! They look perfect in my opinion. I know you don’t have Turkey Vultures by you. They are very graceful in the skies and agile in the trees! Do you have Eurasian Griffon Vultures? I know they have them in Spain, France and Italy…

I LOVE the closer crop of the two originals posted, or possibly include just a very slight bit more on the left. It has a ghostly feel – one of the rare cases where OOF FG elements over the subject contribute to the shot! I’d remove the branch poking the head, for sure, but it would look more natural if you don’t end it right at the edge of the branch behind it – let it extend a little, maybe to include the piece of lichen surrounding it. If you have the tools, you could just do a slight contrast increase on the head-neck-upper back, but if not, I’d leave it as it is. It has a special look!

1 Like

@Vanessa_Hill we don’t have them, one would find them in southern Europe. Sometimes we get a vagrant or a few, this fall we had a group of some odd 20 birds for 2 days. So, in the general the answer would be a ‘no’ :wink:

A very cool image, Vanessa. I tend to like half hidden birds and this one came out beautifully. As Diane noted, I’d be hesitant to increase overall contrast because it might make the foreground branches to obvious, but if you can select just the face and upper body and increase it on them, I do think it would help.

1 Like

@Dennis_Plank @Diane_Miller
Thank you, both Diane and Dennis for looking at and liking my Vulture friend! I will try your ideas on contrast. I’ve recently, since being on NPN and getting so much great advice from you and everyone, been trying out some different features that I do have, mainly the ‘curves’ feature, I’m going to play around with that and see if I can bring the Vulture out more. Thank you!

Hi Vanessa
I thing the best part of the photograph is, your effort to get into the correct position to take the shot. For sight is were all great photograph start.
Peter

1 Like

Thanks, Peter! I’m glad you like it and the effort was worth it, even if the photo isn’t maybe the best, the memory is!