Beauty in the Eye

This was another individual I was able to watch taking turns in the feed on the Hudson River. This one, I believe flew up with me as I was climbing Breakneck and flew very close, as they can be as curious about us as we are of them.

Specific Feedback Requested

I can’t repair the blurred out branch in front of the Vulture. Does it look too distracting? Is the Vulture sharp enough? I tried a vertical portrait style as I couldn’t position the whole bird in the frame due to logistics, but I think I like this better as it shows the tree in the background.
Any other thoughts, feedback, critique,always welcome and appreciated!

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Nikon D3400
ISO 500
300mm
f/6.3
1/1000

naturenessie

Focus on the head looks good and you got a really nice pose. The exposure looks good also. I like the nice grey bg with the oof trees and branches. I would probably crop in from the right to lose that bigger oof branch. And for the me that darn oof branch in front of vulture id quite distracting. It is one of the hazards of bird photography.

1 Like

Yeah, I’m not surprised. I think I just wanted it to work, but good to know! Thanks for the feedback!

1 Like

For me, after your previous one which was so nice, this one just doesn’t work. The OOF branch is a problem and the bird is awkwardly cut in two. The reddish cast seems a bit strange, too.

1 Like

@Diane_Miller Yeah, I told her she needed to sit in the same area as her brother but she wouldn’t listen! These Prima Donna models! :grinning:

Hi Vanessa. I do think the out of focus branch is too distracting to make this a really premier image, but that’s why we take lots of images. Unfortunately, these branches don’t show up well in a viewfinder, so we usually discover them when we go to process what we thought was a wonderful image. To my eye, the bird seems rather bright. I tend to think of Turkey vultures as almost black birds and this one is tending a bit too much toward the brown side for my taste.

1 Like

Hi Dennis, thanks for your thoughts. Yeah the branch just doesn’t work.
Actually Turkey Vultures are a very beautiful brown. This image doesn’t even do it justice. Some of my others that I’ve entered you can see it more. It’s the Black Vultures with the black wings.