The Beauty of Vultures & post of original size

And in color…

I took this just this morning right outside my front door! I went for an early bike ride looking for some vultures that I had seen roosting in a tree the morning before but didn’t see them, then when I got home, there was one in the trees that are between yards. I am so excited because this is the first one I’ve seen doing a morning roost this year! Last year when I moved here the end of July there would always be about 3 that would hang out every morning. But then they leave for the winter. So now it seems like they are definitely back. I’m just trying to figure out a way to get closer. Doesn’t he look like he’s showing off his beautiful wing for me?!

Specific Feedback Requested

I made this in black and white to match the previous one I posted, from a different place. Any thoughts, I’ll post the color one too. Does this crop look okay?
I think it’s kind of noisy, maybe because of the distance? Not sure, if anyone knows I would love to know why… anything else…

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Nikon D3400
300mm
1/1000
f/8
ISO 400
Cropped about 75%, made black and white and did slight adjustments in the color version

apani.hill

I like both of them, Vanessa. Not knowing what’s to the left, I’d be tempted to move the subject a bit further right in the frame. It looks to me like the noise somehow came in on the B&W conversion you chose as I don’t see any significant noise in the color version. One nit in the B&W: The patch of sky showing through the tree in the bottom left looks odd to me in that version-probably because it’s not immediately obvious what it is.

1 Like

Hi Vanessa, both nice renditions of this vulture. I like the tree with berries as a perch for this guy. I could see adding more space on the left. Nice pose you caught here.

1 Like

Thanks @Dennis_Plank and @Allen_Sparks for your suggestion and feedback! Yeah I see what you mean @Dennis_Plank about the sky in the black and white. And also I do agree with you both about a different crop. I think because it’s such a far away view I wasn’t quite sure how to crop it. Here is the original image, if you have any ideas I’d love to know! Also thanks for putting up with all my Turkey Vulture pictures! ……

Just realized I put in a different pose! This is the original one! …

Pleasing images and I prefer the color image. The contrast shines through a lot better with the color than with the black and white.

1 Like

Thanks @David_Schoen , yeah, I like them in color better as well, but I was kind of thinking about trying to present them in a black and white artistic way to make them more people like them! Kind of like a series…which was another post I had. But I’m glad you like it!