One Strange Cloud

While in NH this past fall this cloud laden sky greeted us with some outstanding light at sunset on the second evening of our visit. After zooming in to 100% while checking for dust spots in the sky I came across one of the strangest looking clouds; at least to me; that I have ever seen. I thought I would share it with you folks.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

All C&C welcome

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

All C&C welcome

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Nikon D800, Nikon 80-200 @ 80 mm, f 14 @ 1/4 sec, ISO 100 MLU, CPL, cable release & tripod

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

Cloud shapes never fail to amaze me. I wish I know more about it that I can predict where and when certain shapes appear. You have captured an amazing scenery here, Ed. I am not sure if the funky cloud adds or detracts from the whole scenery. If it were mine, I would be tempted to remove it unless I learn something special about it (and I hope someone here would know more about it!)

Do you still have some at the bottom? It is a very lovely band of colors you have there.

I think you got photo-bombed by a cloud bug. While it is interesting, and intriguing, I am with Adhika about removing it. What an amazing landscape image.

While interesting, I think I would remove the strange cloud. Wonderful image overall.

I agree about removing the cloud. Everything else is so tranquil except for the jarring cloud. How bizarre.

I will toss my hat in with the removal sentiment. Nice color and mood to the image and a fine sky to go with the colorful trees.

A very nice image Ed. It looks a a small wispy cloud at a much lower altitude than the other pastel clouds above it. Here is another vote to remove it. The rest of the image is so nice, I would remove any minor distractions.

I believe your brother Mike told me that this was taken at Sugar Hill on the evening 10/10/19. That day and the following one, 10/11/19, we had some crazy weather in New England. In Massachusetts a hurricane was passing by out at sea, generating high winds and some wild looking clouds. The night of 10/11/19 @Alan_Kreyger and I shot sunset from a location only a couple miles from where you took this image, and we had wild looking lenticular clouds forming above Cannon Mountain.

Possibly a smoke signal from a ancient time trying to communicate with someone in today’s world?

Beautiful NH scene. Although the cloud adds interesting story, agree artistically the image would improve without it.

Beautiful scenery here! Yea, I’d lose the weird cloud, but like the bug reference. My only other thought is to check the land brightness and compare it to the sky. On my laptop, the land looks to be brighter than the sky so that may benefit from some tonal balance between the two. Otherwise, beautiful scene!

Ed,

A beautiful and grand landscape - killer sky and clouds. That zoomed in view of the “clouds” is even more weird than the broad view - looks like some alien bug breathing fire and wearing a propeller hat… The original view, looks like a bug splat on my windshield or monitor and I want to wipe it off… It does certain attract attention and I’m glad you included it in the original - even though we’re all saying to get rid of it. fun!

Personal choice, but I could see easing up on the contrast of the immediate treeline. Not a big deal and of course I wasn’t standing there… Beautiful as presented.

Lon

I seem to have totally missed that cloud in my shots. Even though the golden light had faded, the afterglow on the landscape is just as sweet. Kick a$$ image IMHO.
:vulcan_salute:

That is a “wierd” cloud, Ed. You can now claim that an alien visited you… :wink: It does match well with the color of the small skinny cloud to it’s right. The subtle colors in the sky are great. They set off the amazing colors in the near trees very well. A lovely scene with or without the space ship.