Opinions on this new lighting?

I love my D850’s, but HATE that they deleted the on-body small flash that I used most of the time with macro shots.
I have a good speedlight, but it is heavy and bulky, and I dislike using it.
I’ve been looking for a very small, simple, lightweight “light” I can basically keep on the camera most of the time.
I’d love opinions on this intriguing thing, please:

https://www.adorama.com/pp901314.html?CategoryID=122636

That’s a trigger rather than a light, if my quick skim of the promo is corrent. My questions pop immediately to how well it ties into the flash controls in the camera and the strobe, and whether it has any of its own.

I use those features a lot for adjusting fill flash, and I’d miss them if gone. On the plus side for macro, it would let you get a Speedlight off the camera for close subjects, but then of course you’d have to mount or hold the Speedlight separate from the camera. I’m currently using the Nikon SU-800 in that role. It’s not a whole lot bigger and $50 cheaper while offering a vast array of useful (to me) strobe features, running up to 3 individual strobes or even 3 banks of multiple strobes at once with full strobe controls including lighting ratios from behind the camera- No dashing around adjusting all your strobes individually if that makes sense. Same rich strobe controls for single strobe, too.

Speaking of holding a strobe off-camera, I’ve “invented” a great technique. I mount a strobe on one of these, giving me close to 3’ of extra “arm length” for strobe positioning, and often an easy way to prop, prod or suspend the strobe elsewhere than my hand. Darnedest thing I’ve ever used with outdoor strobe. It has the right threads for mounting a camera, which means it will mount the little AS-22 light stand that comes packaged with most Nikon strobes when you buy them. Handy as handy can be, and so small and light you hardly know it’s in your gear bag.

Thank you, guru. :upside_down_face:
Sandy

Go with the SU 800 as Hank mentioned. It will play nice with your other Nikon flashes……….Jim

Hi Sandy,

I recently purchased one of these macro light units. Haven’t had a chance to test it yet, but have high hopes. It’s not something to leave on the camera all the time, but it’s small and lightweight enough that I’ll stick it in my photo backpack whenever I think there’s an opportunity for macro work. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1213356-REG/bolt_vm_210_flexible_macro_light.html

Hi, Greg - I actually got one of these Bolt 210’s to try it, and found it pretty underpowered for good macro work. The stronger 260 version might work for my needs - I might try that and report on it.
Sandy

Hey Sandy-

If you’re contemplating buying a number of pieces of gear in addition to the controller to pull this off, it’s worth pointing out that you can get the whole closeup shebang for $429 new and almost $100 less used from the same source.

I have no firsthand experience with it, but I’ve been with a photo compatriot when he was using his for tidepool shooting. It was easy and direct to use, and his results spoke very highly in favor of the system. Admittedly my bud is a strapping big guy, but he never mentioned any issues with weight or awkward use.