Orange Crowned Warbler

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

It’s the beginning of migration for many smaller birds through our state which provides me a great chance to photograph a bunch of different warblers, vireos, tanagers, etc. in the mountains not far from home. Went up yesterday morning and got this little one. Another very flitty quick little subject that doesn’t give you much time.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

About 80% of full frame
Olympus EM1-X
300mm f/4 with 1.4x TC
1/250, f/5.6, ISO 2000

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

I also don’t get tired of looking at warblers. This is a very pleasant frame with excellent color, detail, diagonal perch and background.

Indeed very lovely. My comment would be a nit and something that I always forget myself. I wish the feet and perch are somewhat sharper. I think the solution to that would be to stop down a little. But I almost always forget to do that myself.

Hi Keith,

A real nice image with good quality and nicely composed.

A question, if you don’t mind. I’m impressed with the lack of noise at ISO 2000 (and the detail at the slow shutter speed). Is the lack of noise the camera or post-production, or both? And, now that you’ve had the EM-1X for a while, how does it compare to the EMI-Mark II? I’m thinking of going mirrorless and have been impressed with your work from both cameras. Thanks

Thanks for the comments @David_Schoen, @Adhika_Lie and @Allen_Brooks.

Allen asked about the EM1 II and the EM-1 X. On another post recently linked here Townsends Warbler I was asked about a similar thing. You can read my thoughts there.

There was a smalll amount of noise reduction applied to this image in post. Here is a crop from a 1:1 piece of this image so you can see the original. I find the noise in the EM1 cameras to be very well controlled as long as you expose correctly.

Note: Zooming in on this is beyond the real resolution of the file since this is already at 1:1.

Nice job, Keith. I think our warblers are starting to head your way. We saw/heard a few yesterday when David and I went out for shorebirds, but I haven’t seen any at my place for a week. I like the nice eye contact and slanted perch.

Lovely species in a typical warbler-pose. Lovely mute light as well. Cheers, Hans